Author Topic: am I insane  (Read 1629 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: am I insane
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
I'd say not necessarily insane, but guilty of poor judgement if this was to be your only option to produce transfers at a commercial level.
I don't know about you, but most of my heat seal jobs are, compared to screen print,  fairly quick turnaround. I'd be in trouble if I had an equipment issue without a backup.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
Also, the idea of a combination machine can be quite appealing until you get busy and find the changeover process annoying.
Could be a great backup machine.

Kinda' like a Shopsmith, for you woodworkers out there. Works great, but involves a lot of extra planning for any project involving a few different operations.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
YES.....ask me how I know ::)...I was in a rush to grab another press and these things SUCK..They throw sparks when you pull the top plate down, it's a huge pile of fire hazard. If you want something nicer but not 3k, look here:

https://www.uscutter.com/Heat-Presses
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »
I just picked up this one: https://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Auto-Opening-Clamshell-Heat-Press seems decent for the price.
Also picked up a Siser Cap Press that I used last night, I like it, I think they are made by Hotronix

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »
Everyone like a bargan but if it sounds too good to be true it probably is junk.
have you thought about searching the buyers comments  and possibly contacting any of the "80 sold"  to see what they think after receipt of the items.
On another note I have a George Knight 20S purchased several years ago @ $1200.00 + shipping. It has been a great press but not without some issues. The board went out about 1 year ago. I had a backup in my Knight hat press (exactly same , totally interchangable) swapped them out and dropped @$200 .00 for a new board .
So even at high $ things crap out.
or simply think of it this way...in a Dirty Harry voice.....
This is a $241.00 heat press capable of $h&%%$*g the bed at a moments notice...so you have to ask your self do you feel lucky chump....... well do ya
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »
We have one of those eBay no-brand hat heat presses we picked up last year to use on an inside tag transfer job. 
It worked fine and pressed probably 4-5k shirts by now. It gets hot.  It presses down.  Not much to it.  For $180 shipped, I've been happy with the purchase.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
I just picked up a Siser 15x15 for $600 at my local supply shop. So far so good, for the price at least.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:17:34 PM »
One issue with clam shells in general is the tendency to apply different force while being closed, with the back being pressed first.
Some machines seem to handle this better than others, while the worst can produce creep. I'd definitely tape transfers in position when using this style.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,21270.0.html

not $200, but much better press. Still available.

pierre

p.s. we have one of those. Came with a sublimation kit. Fired it up once and it's been sitting for about three years now. If they are set up for sublimation they don't heat evenly. The temp changes with time, or so I was told. . .
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,21270.0.html

not $200, but much better press. Still available.

pierre

p.s. we have one of those. Came with a sublimation kit. Fired it up once and it's been sitting for about three years now. If they are set up for sublimation they don't heat evenly. The temp changes with time, or so I was told. . .

I don't understand this. Why would the heat press care what type of transfer ink was being used? Than again, I don't know much about sublimation transfers.