Author Topic: shirt color as design color - UltraSeps question  (Read 7508 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: shirt color as design color - UltraSeps question
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »
I'm getting that error now.

I think your hosting site is having some problems.

And it's happening even posting just a reply...with no attachment.
Thanks guys, I'm passing this along to our hosting techs (or techie hosts)

The word back is that it's a "modsecure" problem and will be fixed with a slight tweak.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »
I'm getting that error now.

I think your hosting site is having some problems.

And it's happening even posting just a reply...with no attachment.
Thanks guys, I'm passing this along to our hosting techs (or techie hosts)

The word back is that it's a "modsecure" problem and will be fixed with a slight tweak.

It's supposed to be fixed now. They asked if I could see if it was working now, but of course, I have no way of knowing since other posts by you guys since the error message have made it through.
Is it possible for any of you to try to post the same thing that got kicked back?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »
The problem was it was not occurring all the time. 

For me, it would go away after trying a number of times and then come back again, so it's going to be hard to recreate to know it's fixed or not.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 12:54:06 AM »
The problem was it was not occurring all the time. 

For me, it would go away after trying a number of times and then come back again, so it's going to be hard to recreate to know it's fixed or not.

Well, now, apparently all we can do is make a note if it happens again, or hope that it is indeed fixed.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Tried to post this earlier, got the error message then, so here it is today:

Many thanks to Doug & Screenxpress for the insights! I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without your help. Seps worked out great, shirts have been printed, and look great, too. I believe UltraSeps has probably just gained a new customer. :)

In case anyone happens across this thread in the future, here's the key bit of info from Doug that got me going in the right direction. (Which he couldn't post earlier, due to the technical difficulties): I wanted to take an ink color out of the underbase, to allow shirt color to be used instead of ink. Doug pointed me to the "Subtract Colors from Channels" action button. The related "Info" button describes how to select the base, and then knockout another channel's info from it. Doug added that it can take quite a few applications of this to remove essentially all color channel data from the base (like 10 or so), before only 1-2% dots remain. It was good to know this up front, because it did indeed take about that many to get the knockout I wanted.

Doug's other helpful tip for a novice like myself is that this can be done not only to let the shirt color show through in place of an ink color, but also to allow an ink (like black) to print directly to the shirt rather than being underbased. (However, in my case, UltraSeps also generated an acceptable UB with the black already knocked out, which is what I used.)

Further info: Despite Doug's advice, I wasn't happy with the results I was getting. But I had been working in the "Basic 5 Color" sep option. After Screenxpress posted, I saw he'd used the Index #1 option, and then merged channels. So I tried again, using the same steps he described & showed in screen shots, and it worked great.

Along the way, I made a few manual adjustments, applying Levels or Curves as needed. But for both what was automated & what I tweaked, what I saw on screen translated well to films, screens, and finally to shirts. Again, many thanks to the guys who took the time to help me figure out how to do what I needed to!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »
Just some further info that might be helpful on removing the data of a given channel from another:

There is a way to remove all of the data of one channel from another in one step.  I don't mention it within my documentation as it's usually NOT the best method when adjusting separations.  So if wanting to just lessen the amount of one channel from another, it could have adverse affects on the separation and usually does.  Although like anything else, it depends, and this absolute method can be useful at times.

With that said, to remove "everything" within a channel from another channel, have the target channel selected in the channels panel.  Then open Apply Image and make the following selections as per the screenshot below.

Choose the channel to be removed from the target channel.
In this example the Blue 2727.

Click Invert

Select Color Dodge as the Blending Mode

Opacity at 100%

Now everything within the Blue 2727 is removed from the White Underbase.

What was once 72% fill is now 0%.

------------------------

Here's another method to "gradually" remove data from one channel from another can be done without using Apply Image.

First make sure the Background color in Photoshop's Tools Panel is white.

Now Control-Click (Windows) or Command-Click (Macintosh) the channel needed to be removed from another.  For example do this to the Blue 2727 channel.  This loads that channel as a Selection.

Next, select the channel you'd like to remove that data from and hit the Delete Key.  The delete key can be hit multiple times to remove yet more and more from the target channel.

------------------------

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:02:35 PM by UltraSeps »
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
Steve, the only Invert I know of is under Image/Adjustments/Invert and it does not offer a popup with settings as you have shown.  My Photoshop just reverses the image.

Is there another Invert option somewhere?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 12:52:31 AM »
Steve, the only Invert I know of is under Image/Adjustments/Invert and it does not offer a popup with settings as you have shown.  My Photoshop just reverses the image.

Is there another Invert option somewhere?

Read my instructions again.  This is done using the APPLY IMAGE function of Photoshop and is accessed through the Image Menu of Photoshop..... Image > Apply Image.

The Invert checkbox of Apply Image has nothing in common whatsoever with the global Invert function of Photoshop.

For those not familiar with the Apply Image function of Photoshop, I highly advise getting to know it well as doing great separations is almost impossible without using it.

I have a rudimentary video on Apply Image here:
http://www.ultraseps.com/apply-image-photoshop-tutorial-ultraseps.php

The video by no means covers everything.  Not even close and mainly focuses on the white base.  But it at least provides insight on what it is and how its accessed.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:55:52 AM by UltraSeps »
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 01:06:07 AM »
Got it.  Thanks.

Offline Jay Kay

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
Too truly 100% remove all the data from one channel from another, you would want highlight target channel that is going to have data removed, image>apply image>select removal channel (inverted)>blending: Linear Dodge:Add. This will remove 100% of one channels data from the other.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Thanks to Steve for the personal reply, and JayKay too for his addition. Didn't see these prior to printing, but glad to have the info. As it was, the seps came out great, printed well, and pleased the customer! Definitely impressed with how much UltraSeps helped on this job - it was a great intro to the product!
Nice guys laugh last.