Author Topic: My wife's 7 color heat seal Easter project.  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
My wife's 7 color heat seal Easter project.
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »
Now I realize we are predominantly a screen printing forum but you know we cover other areas of the business both large and small. So I wanted to put this up for conversation. Some might find it educational in some way as well.

As I've mentioned recently, my wife has been going pretty good with her new gear set custom vinyl orders.
Enough so far to cover some small investments. So recently, she wanted to test her skills and bite into this project. It s something she wanted to do more for herself to explore the difficulties and boy did she find out. As many of you already know, this job is not something everyone looks forward to doing, but she loved it and it looks great.

All heat set, multiple layers with (7) colors.

Quantity of order, 1.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: My wife's 7 color heat seal Easter project.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
Dan, do not, I repeat DO NOT ever let her see a Versacamm!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 09:01:50 PM »
Very well done.....I try to avoid ones like that....Too much work for the reward....

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »
You can do that with a vinyl cutter?!
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:17:41 AM »
Question, did she but register it or is there an overlap cut between the colors?  Or is the white under the entire egg?  I have a special project coming up for my father in law and it's 3 colors with a lot of coverage.  I don't want 3 layers on the shirt or it will be really thick.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
I keep layering to a minimum and cut with a generous trap. How generous? That completely depends on potential shrinkage and distance in between the elements.
If you ever want a reason to raise your pricing or to just say no, keep an accurate count of the time a job like this takes.
It's doubtful that Mrs. DotTone made a nickel at minimum wage. Obviously a labor of love.
We've all been there, especially when our artist or craftsperson persona starts shining through and shoves our business person aside.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »
She told me there were only two layers so a lot of it was knocked out of each other. Time consuming. There is a little of "off placement", but it's pretty good for what you do with it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
One of them little Roland BN-20's would do her well. I personally find them painfully slow compared to the more commercial larger variants.

Placing that would give me nightmares... Just the shirt lifting when peeling the backing off each layer of vinyl. Although, she could probably try something like taping a layer of something to the bottom platten, using a bit of table-tac or something to hold the shirt, and feeding the shirt onto the lower platten, which could be helpful in maintaining tighter rego for multiple layers. I haven't tried that but it's probably worth some consideration if she want's to perceiver with it.

Pretty good effort there though. I'd have gotten 3 colours in and probably angrily thrown the whole lot in the bin and stormed off to do something else. lol!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
Yes, I'd of stormed off way earlier. Lol.  I have no patience for that. I did it at my last job but the most I did were two colors. I like the 1 colors. It has a place in our world but I feel I don't want to design and sell something that will make it hard on myself. That's just me.