Author Topic: Bad mottling  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Bad mottling
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »
I have a job set up on a automatic that is very mottled in a solid area printed with M3 Yellow through a 225 Screen, has a White base.
I have exposed a 305 screen that I will try and use tomorrow, thought of also increasing off contact.
Any ideas on how to get rid of this will be welcome.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Bad mottling
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »
First thing I would check on is to make sure the base white is not being over flashed.  Second, check the print speed and pressure of the yellow.  You may want to slow the print stroke and maybe increase the pressure.

Is the yellow ink up at print temp?  Typically around 80-90 degrees F.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline livinthedream

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »
Could also help if you could post a picture of what you are seeing, might help narrow down the speculation on what is happening.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
is that a 225s?  I would drop it to either a standard 230 or 280.  The 305 should work fine as well.

I have found those 225s dump down a good amount of ink.  Too much for WOW on a base.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
Here are two photographs, one close up before I did the adjustments Colin suggested.
These helped a lot but I'd still like to see a smoother yellow and whiter white.
All screens are 225 except for a brown over the yellow which is 305.
I normally print this kind of graphics with 225 base and 305 for the rest, I thought 225 for all would give me a brighter white.
Seps by Dan.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
to me it looks like you need more off contact (based on the second picture and yellow ink having the pattern of ridges in it).
white brightness might be related to the garment (assuming you have everything else dialed in correctly). Try using a roller to flatten the underbase. It will help, but ultimately, you might need two hits of white to make it work.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
Looking at your base white:  You do have quite a few fibers coming up.  What shirt are you printing on? 

Pierre's suggestion of the smoothing screen will help immensely.  Followed by controlling your flash times/temps so your base white is not "to dry".

Now, yellow ink.... never a fun one when you are battling texture (fuzzy shirts) or opacity issues. 

You may very well want a second white screen to give it the pop you want, or try what Pierre suggested.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
We use shirts from India that are great, I dont think its the shirt.
I'm not sure we used the roller, will check but the white base is a 225, are you suggesting PFP using two 225 screens?
Would you put the roller after first or second white?   Or print/flash/roller/second white
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
If the shirts are really good, I would revisit your flash times then.  If the ink is coming out - not tacky, but "moist" feeling, while still being dry - then you have hit the right time/temp.  The ink is still pliable and really responsive at that point.  Thats when you want to hit it with a roller screen.  What squeegee hardness are you using in your base white?  Pressure/speed?

If you find that the print is still to weak/fuzzy then run 2 print strokes for your underbase.  Hit it with the roller and see if its improved enough for a good looking final print.

If you feel that there are still to many shirt fibers coming up or the yellow does not pop the way you want, throw in a second base white screen.  For this screen I would pull back on the tonal range a bit so you dont get any more dot gain.  Use the roller after the first screen followed by the second base white.  Here, I would use 2 - 225s mesh screens.

Test Test Test.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 08:55:40 PM »
Ah,  Now, I see the picture.  Nice printing on the machine.  Good advice from above.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 02:31:40 AM »
Here are the improved prints.
Used a 50/90/50 on the base white and double stoke(225)
Cut back on flash time.
Double stroke on Top white to get the lettering on top whiter.
Used a lighter grey.
All screens 225 except for brown which is 305.
There are two photographs
One has the brown printed before the yellow and the other the brown after the yellow.
I think the customer will prefer before the yellow, the machine is supposed to be yellow.
Thanks for all the advice, learned a lot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:35:33 AM by Maxie »
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:00:51 AM »
That looks nice!

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
Correct on the color, lemon yellow is Karcher

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Lookin GOOD!