Author Topic: Yarn on shirt?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Admiral

Yarn on shirt?
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »
I believe this is hand stitched.  Is there a way to replicate it with a machine though?  I think 12 weight is the thickest thread we can put on our embroidery machines...this is probably thicker than that.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: Yarn on shirt?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »
We do that here on our emb machines..... Thats not really my department so I'll have to check how its done but I know when we digitize we call it chain stitching

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
A true chain stitch is literally wrapping the thread around the needle in a chain.  You can digitize in a faux chain stitch, but to get it to really sit on top you would either need a sequence attachment, which can get an effect like this https://www.superdry.com/womens/t-shirts/details/77269/stitch-snowy-t-shirt-light-grey or you need a chain stitch machine.

I attached an example of a faux chain stitch done on an embroidery machine, you basically make interlocking v's in the digitizing, and can use a thick thread, but it isn't a true chain stitch which is a single needle point with additional threads getting sewn down on top.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »
Or you could simply create it in a satin stitch if your customer will accept a flatter less rustic design.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
This is a faux chain stitch fill we did, but you can see the chain stitch look around the border.

Sewn with a thicker diameter thread.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
Looking to simulate this with SP one day

Offline Admiral

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
Thanks guys.  I think we may try going those interlocking v's with 12 weight thread and see if we like it.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »

Little V's with Puff ink would do the trick.  You could easily make a vector pattern stroke to simulate the effect, and some Puff additive would make it stand up on the garment.

The trial and error part would be spacing the "stitches" far enough apart so that when it puffs up it doesn't fill in to much and just look like a solid bad quality print.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:57 PM »
  I don't know what program you are using to digitize but I am using Gunhold Wings
and after digitizing a running stitch I can select from the "style" menu "chain" and
it generates the V's as  the "faux" chain without having to hand digitize all those
little V's. Set the stitch length and you can get what you are looking for.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »

Little V's with Puff ink would do the trick.  You could easily make a vector pattern stroke to simulate the effect, and some Puff additive would make it stand up on the garment.

The trial and error part would be spacing the "stitches" far enough apart so that when it puffs up it doesn't fill in to much and just look like a solid bad quality print.

And theres the oft overlooked puff UB