Author Topic: Artwork rights issue  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Succeed

Artwork rights issue
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »
We have a situation in where an artist that no longer is employed with our company has started their own business. They are using artwork in which they created as an employee of our company as advertisement on their company website....Looking for thoughts/opinions on this practice?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Artwork rights issue
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »
Pretty SH!tty of an employee to do that, but I dont think you have a leg to stand on.  I could be wrong.  Good luck.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
I'd call my lawyer and have them send a cease and desist. That artwork is owned by the company in which paid the employee for the creative.

seriously, you're probably effed but it sounds legit....it will at least let the punk know you're on to him....this type of shenanigans really grinds my gears.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
if they were on the clock, you own the art! (unless there was an agreement stating otherwise). employment is different from contracting for art.
I would let them know that you will take legal action if they don't pay for it or stop. that should be enough as they probably don't want the business to tank before it gets started. if they don't take it down, then have an attorney send them a CnD letter.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!