Author Topic: Buying I Image STE on secondary market  (Read 3177 times)

Offline trebor

Buying I Image STE on secondary market
« on: April 10, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
I've finally decided to make the jump to digital.
Considering the purchase of an I Image STE on the secondary market. I am satisfied with the condition of the machine and it's functionality. I have researched the service history of the machine. Actual usage of the machine seems minimal compared to its capability. Have seen the machine in person and done nozzle check and Clarity Coverage test. I have been assured by M&R that it is not old technology. Now I am trying to figure out a fair offer.

2014 I Image STE

How much?

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
Re: Buying I Image STE on secondary market
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
How many print heads does it have?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
find out how much is the new one. Then cut it in half. With M&R equipment it will probably be closer to 60%, maybe even a little more. So that's a reasonable price. . .

Next part of the equation is how bad you want it and bad does the other party need to sell it. If you are dead set on getting one and can pay 20% less than new (for a like new unit) it's still a good deal. All said and done, for regular used equipment I would be looking to pay no more than 60% of what it was new.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline trebor

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
How many print heads does it have?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
Why are they getting rid of it...?

Also, I have learned here from personal experience - do a right and left bias print for each head so you can see that the nozzles are performing how they need to.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »
Personally id have a M&R tech check it out OR just buy a new one. This is SUCH a key to any shop after they get it it would be a shame to get a turd.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
I would agree 100% on the tech.  We had ours set it up and show us how to use it.  Invaluable.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:30:40 PM »
I bought mine used, and had no issues until I switched to D2A. ( Who other can of worms )

If you are handy you can figure out the machine, it is not very complex.

Best thing I did was move down from a 2 head machine to a single head.

Best part is M&R have skilled techs who can help via phone, and that is why I continue to buy their equipment.

Good luck with the new machine !

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
Take 6k off the price. Have 3 new heads installed with the new TK6 ink. COmpletely flush entire machine. Wouldn't touch it otherwise.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »
Take 6k off the price. Have 3 new heads installed with the new TK6 ink. COmpletely flush entire machine. Wouldn't touch it otherwise.

What is this new TK6 ink for the I-Image I've heard a few people talk about? I can't find anything on M&R's site or the internet aside from forum posts about it.

*edit*

Did another search for T6 ink & found it on their store. Duh. What is the difference & benefit of this new ink?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:46:48 AM by kirkwad »

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
M&R is having us switch today - I was told it is basically closer to water in viscocity than the D2a.

The D2a is a bit stickier/thicker.

My assumption is that the print head does not need to work as hard to move the T6 compared to the D2...
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 10:20:05 AM »
We are switching the ink as well. Just have make a date in the next couple of weeks to get a couple of days ahead of screens and have film back up and running just in case something unexpected happens. Because when you make plans, life happens.

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
It'd be interesting to hear how the ink switch went during & after, and if any problems or improvements occurred as a result. Thanks guys.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
I'm hearing great things about the T6. For me and Tony, we would only switch from D2A for the simple reason that it sounds like we will not need to do cleaning (as much) or more like prescribed. We wipe the head plate and cap station more often that normal just to keep it from collecting small dust fibers. We do a lot of comfort colors and even though our screen room is away and blocked off, there are still fibers in the air.  The D2A is thicker. We get great prints from the D2a. Can do 65-75lpi-85lpi just fine. Tony did one at 100lpi, burned screens and printed it on a shirt but the art/seps were fitting for that. So as long as we can still get that with the T6, (I'm sure we can), then we may switch as well.

3 Heads is a fast machine.

In fact, That might be a great new business for me. :)  Buying a shops older machine, updating it and repairing and re-selling. Hmmm.
I still do an occasional training/consultation, but it's always got to be over a weekend or during a holiday or long vacation. (gotta day job now).
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
One warning on the switching, be sure to have a Tech log in and change the settings themselves. Don't try it on your own without phone assistance. You need to filters and you need to flush the old out properly. (Properly, is the key word). Too many people can easily get the purging and flushing process messed up. Then head temp and neg pressure need adjusted.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850