Author Topic: Silkscreen Magazine  (Read 1550 times)

Offline BartJY

• Verified/Junior
Silkscreen Magazine
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »
Hi Folks,

Is there a magazine that presents general knowledge and issues that a new person to silk screening would find useful?  What is the name if such a mag exists. 

Thanks
Bart

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Silkscreen Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:39:45 PM »
Google is your friend. However, ditching the obsolete term "silkscreen" in favor of "screen print" helps a bunch.
https://www.google.com/search?q=screen+print+magazine&oq=screen+print+magazine&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.7122j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline BartJY

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
Thank you.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
printwear, impression best 2 in my opinion.
shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
depending on your level of expertise, some magazines will be better fit than the others. SGIA Journal (the garment edition) also has some fantastic info in it.

In the end, most of those articles are already on the web and a search when you get in trouble will probably result in better results than reading the magazines. Screenweb seems to have particularly good selection of articles that tickled my fancy. Your mileage will vary.

And let's not forget the depository of knowledge and answers here on the board. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
I read all the popular trades, Screenprinting, Impressions, Printwear, and a few other whose names escape me, but they all have become diminished or online versions. Well, it is 2018...
I love magazines though, far better than on my iPad...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »
I get all tingly inside when a new Impressions or Printwear comes in the mail.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
Books that present the whole process from beginning to end are perhaps the best way to get up to speed. They won't really teach you everything you'll ever need to know, but they can give you enough of an overview that you'll know what's being talked about elsewhere. My introduction to screen printing was Fresener's "How to Print T-Shirts ...for Fun & Profit." I've learned a lot since then (still learning all the time, actually), but that book got me into the pool, so to speak.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
Books that present the whole process from beginning to end are perhaps the best way to get up to speed. They won't really teach you everything you'll ever need to know, but they can give you enough of an overview that you'll know what's being talked about elsewhere. My introduction to screen printing was Fresener's "How to Print T-Shirts ...for Fun & Profit." I've learned a lot since then (still learning all the time, actually), but that book got me into the pool, so to speak.

that's good advice! 'like that idea.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!