Author Topic: Printing Film Out of Photoshop  (Read 1729 times)

Offline dahmitdesigns

• Verified/Junior
Printing Film Out of Photoshop
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
I'm working on printing out a design on film for out screen printer.

I placed the image in Illustrator to print but it will only print the picture and not any of the text or crop marks I have within the design/file.
When I go to the output option in the print dialog box in Illustrator, it says there is "Pantone Black C" (this is spot color I print all my film out with and the color of the font and vector images in my file) and Process Black (which is the color of the image I placed in the document). When I go to print the file out of Illustrator, it prints the image (translated to a halftone), and nothing else.

I brought the image into Photoshop and copy and paste the text and crop marks into the Photoshop file. I have not tried printing because I am unsure about how to set up the print options once I select to print from Accurip.

Does anyone know the proper way to print film through Photoshop?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Printing Film Out of Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
You might have the image placed over top of what looks like a transparent image (and normally it prints that way), but could for some reason be blocking it. Another theory is that the text could be on a layer that is set to either Multiply or perhaps not print at all. Go to the layers and check the layer settings and opacity etc. Something strange like that. Something somewhere is not set to print.

To print your file from photoshop using AccuRip, first, in the Photoshop print dialogue window, (Command P or Control P) you choose that printer. It might be named (your printer name) with AccuRip at the end. It should be a different printer than your regular printer name. If it's not listed, you then need to load the AccuRip CD and click one of the links that will run through the process to set your AccuRip up to work with your printer. Then do the Photoshop thing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:50:31 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:57:40 PM »
Dan’s instructions will work for getting it printed out of Photoshop.

Our workflow sounds similar to yours though. If we have a halftone/photoshop file we place it into an Illustrator artboard and add the crop marks there. This is because only a small number of jobs require a raster image from Photoshop, so by placing them in it allows us to print from Illustrator 100% of the time. I find it a bit easier to place vector objects in Illustrator while being able to pop the raster file open in Photoshop to make edits. If you set your spot colours up in Photoshop they’ll come with the file when it’s placed, and you can apply those spots to vector objects before printing.

Anyway, in Illustrator you can set your crop marks and other elements to a spot colour called ‘registration’. It’s the crosshairs in your spot colour panel. This will make it print on every separation sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
We also only print from Illustrator, all seps are channels with spot colors assigned, and they populate the color pallet when imported into Illy. I've never printed from Photoshop, always Illustrator.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
We also only print from Illustrator, all seps are channels with spot colors assigned, and they populate the color pallet when imported into Illy. I've never printed from Photoshop, always Illustrator.

Steve

What's your reason for your choice to print all films from Illy?  Do you feel you get better results...or is it that you like the vector info and reg marks?
For me, if i am creating the art, then the seps stay in Photoshop.  Customer art (that has a lower rez), I can then see popping into Illy for films.

Even still, most times, I preferred to keep it in Photoshop.  I disregarded the jaggies on small type and reg marks. Once on the screen and shirt, they don't look jagged anymore. LOL.

I def stay away form using DCS2 anymore (if I can help it).  Some people like those for seps. They know them, (That's what they have gotten in the past), so they don't freak out when I send psd seps in Illy. Everybody does things differently.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:56:23 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »

Steve

What's your reason for your choice to print all films from Illy?  Do you feel you get better results...or is it that you like the vector info and reg marks?
For me, if i am creating the art, then the seps stay in Photoshop.  Customer art (that has a lower rez), I can then see popping into Illy for films.

Even still, most times, I preferred to keep it in Photoshop.  I disregarded the jaggies on small type and reg marks. Once on the screen and shirt, they don't look jagged anymore. LOL.

I def stay away form using DCS2 anymore (if I can help it).  Some people like those for seps. They know them, (That's what they have gotten in the past), so they don't freak out when I send psd seps in Illy. Everybody does things differently.

Well, for starters, it always, and I mean always, works. I learned to to do it that way back when DCS was the way to go, and the more recent versions of PS made that unnecessary. We prefer working the text in Illustrator. And yes , we have template all set up for the presses with the register marks, we're not DTS, nor do I see it coming anytime soon. So for our situation, it's the best way to go. Other people's mileage may vary, so to speak. If we were to receive a DCS file (and I don't think I ever have, actually) and had to rework it, I'd simply open in PS, do the work and save as a newer file. Of course, we have to deal with what we receive; fortunately there are some great tools for this. Imagine the work in the pre-digital days, with process cameras and film...

Steve

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »

Steve
This is exactly what we do as well, for everything, even artwork that is all raster.  Primarily bc we have a reg template in Illy that everything needs to go in. But, we can also then add additional vector elements in if needed and use the imported swatch colors from PSD.  Our workflow is just built more around Illy

But either way, I think you need to have your artwork set up in channels in order to print to Accurip from PSD.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:13:23 PM by Maff »