Author Topic: Water based on koozies  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
Water based on koozies
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
Anyone use white water based ink on black koozies? I have 50 to print tomorrow and, rather than using plastisol like I usually do, I would rather use water based.

I have puff and low cure additive and will probably end up using a 160 or 200 mesh. Just want to see if anyone has any advice?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Water based on koozies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
Isn't koozie material 100% poly?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
You could use a High Solid Acrylic ink, but i dont know how well true waterbased ink would work. I think it would be to transparent.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
We were thinking of using Comet White with puff. Maybe we should test it and stick with low bleed plastisol for this go around.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 06:05:44 PM »
I would underbase with a Black Bleed Blocker if you use HSA and plan for a full temp cure.

If you used the air dry catalyst (Warp Drive), you can probably get away with P/F/P of the Comet white and just cure at realllly low temps to get around the bleed issues with the Poly.

Just thinking kinda crazy here.... maybe use a hair dryer to get the puff effect going and still finish up with air curing...?

My main concern in all this, would be the Polyester bleeding, and Koozie material is notorious for that.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »
Trust me, go low bleed plastisol with a touch of puff. Those things are bought for about 5 cents and sold to you for 25 cents. They probably cost 2 cents to make. We print a ton of them and they are really really cheap poly. The lowest of the low!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
What everyone else has said, lol