Author Topic: Alignment of transfers (mostly oblique)  (Read 1073 times)

Offline NBG

Alignment of transfers (mostly oblique)
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:04:53 AM »
Hi,

i print mostly squared designs and so you see immediately when it's oblique.

I got no problems align the transfer on the middle of the shirt and X inches away from the collar.

My problem: mostly the transfer is oblique... just look at the attachment to understand what i mean.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Would the "Tee Square It" fix this problem?

I'm not really sure if this works... ok you have the horizontal ruler... but if the shirt is oblique on the table then this method doesn't work or!?

Thanks!

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
Re: Alignment of transfers (mostly oblique)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:32:04 PM »
Yes, it's tricky. My rule of thumb is to use a square component of the image. You have a couple in that one - The baseline of the text, the two top corners of the image, that straight white line.

If you're printing the transfers yourself you could do yourself a huge favour by printing the image square on the sheet and using the sheet edge for placement, or less guess work anyway.
If someone else is printing the transfers have them print the images square on the sheet and guillotine them square - Which is what I try to do mostly, sometimes I paint myself into a corner cramming too much on a sheet, generally I can get one or 2 good square edges though.

Offline NBG

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
Yes, it's tricky. My rule of thumb is to use a square component of the image. You have a couple in that one - The baseline of the text, the two top corners of the image, that straight white line.

The image with the ruler is from the ruler company, not my design ;)

I really have a squared image like the red one on the black shirt.

If you're printing the transfers yourself you could do yourself a huge favour by printing the image square on the sheet and using the sheet edge for placement, or less guess work anyway.

Yep i'm using printed transfers (transparent, 'perfect' edges) but still have problems aligning them.

Maybe armpit to armpit is straight?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »

The image with the ruler is from the ruler company, not my design ;)

I really have a squared image like the red one on the black shirt.

Yep i'm using printed transfers (transparent, 'perfect' edges) but still have problems aligning them.

Maybe armpit to armpit is straight?

In general, yeah, something like armpits or shoulder seams or bottom hem are fairly straight references, but don't forget, that in the end. these are just T-Shirts, and not made to high precision. You will eventually either get burned, or find that you have to fudge a position.
Nowadays, many are also finding lasers helpful for alignment on both printing presses as well as heat presses.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
I second the lasers. I cobbled up a cheap DIY set but the girls hardly ever use them. (I print lots of transfers in the back, and after I send them up front, I don't worry much about them.)

Aaaaaand....just like the Frogmeister said, "these are just T-shirts" and you can get pretty niggly on stuff that really doesn't matter.

Wait til you try to print (or press) on retail packaged, Adidas branded stuff, with their logo already "in place"--and I use the term loosly.

You'll see just how important alignment is to Adidas, trying to line up your carefully designed art to a ridiculously crooked logo. That is after you've unpackaged them, grumbling.