Author Topic: Barn Find! M&R QFU Flashes  (Read 753 times)

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Barn Find! M&R QFU Flashes
« on: April 23, 2018, 04:33:16 PM »
I managed to score two M&R Quartz flashes circa 1996 from locally from a super nice fellow for next to nothing. Machine #'s 0099 and 0100! This guy also has a CHII sitting in his garage that he was given for free. Wish I knew where he found his friends! Anyway, these flash units are in great shape considering their age. Super clean on the inside. They could use some paint, and there are a few toggle switches that need replacing. The lamp timers look like they've seen better days as well so Im going to swap those out as well. These look exactly like the Cayenne D, only blue! Looks like it will plug right up to our sportsman. We don't have power wired up to test yet, but that should change soon.

I only have experience with IR flashes, so I'm curious about the quartz tubes. One of the units was missing two bulbs, so I at least need to replace those. The spring sockets look to be in good condition (no black / brown spots that would indicate arcing).

From what I understand there are 3 types of bulbs, short wave, medium wave, and instant start medium wave. From the windings, these tubes appear to be Medium wave. If i'm swapping lamps, is there any benefit to "upgrade" to the instant start medium wave tubes, or would I be shooting myself in the foot on this older unit? M&R does carry them https://www.mrprint.com/store/product/1007133/quartz-curing-length-18-220vac-1080w-filament-length-17-25-total-length-20-25-marked-yellow. And holy smokes are they $$$! If I replace all 18 lamps in both units i'm looking at dropping a good bit of cash. I can't complain too much as I got both units for $600, but If I don't need to spend the extra $$ I'd rather not. So tell me, who is your favorite vendor to pickup replacement tubes?

On a side note, has anyone ever wired in a temp controller to one of these? Unnecessary, or crucial to prevent scorching? If it wasn't needed in 1996 I'm good riiiight  ;D

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Barn Find! M&R QFU Flashes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »

On a side note, has anyone ever wired in a temp controller to one of these? Unnecessary, or crucial to prevent scorching? If it wasn't needed in 1996 I'm good riiiight ;D

did they have triblends in '96?.....eff triblends..eff them all to H E double hockey sticks.....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:12:29 PM »
LOL, I was 9 years old in 96 so I have no idea about triblends back in the day. I do recall wearing some sick bugle boy shirts though. I'm leaning towards replacing all of the bulbs with the instant start medium waves instead of the regular medium wave bulbs.... but it looks like there is a wattage difference. The old tube is stamped 1080W and the instant start bulbs from M&R are 1500 watt. Wondering if that is going to cause an issue....

Offline domineight

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »
I might be wrong, but the "POWER LEVEL" dial top right should be your temp controller, or whatever the quartz systems equivalent of. I don't know the ins-and-outs of these but I think that dial will wind the wattage delivered to the bulbs up/down, and effectively controlling temp/power to the quartz lamps.

I'd replace the broken bulbs with what's already in there and send it..

Good score. Must be the season for it. I was given a 4 head embroidery machine recently, and yesterday picked up a riley hopkins 6/4 press, flash, dryer, and 100 meshed up frames for under $1000 :o