Author Topic: printing on 100% waterproof poly  (Read 1095 times)

Online rusty

printing on 100% waterproof poly
« on: April 27, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »
I have a potential job of a 1,000 pieces on 100% waterproof ripstop fabric. they're bags, not stretchy and will be easy to throw on automatic. The fabrsi is 100% poly with 75D Ripstop

the kicker is it's two colors.

I was planning on using wilflex poly white with nylon bond catalyst (for extra safety) while running the flash/dryer at a low temp.

would this be alright? Do I need to remove the waterproofing in print area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: printing on 100% waterproof poly
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »
no clue! We generally tell the customers to send us a sample for testing. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a good print on some of the non standard substrates.

Better safe than sorry!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online rusty

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
ha yeah we will definitely be doing a bunch of tests for this.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Agreed most whole heartedly.  Test Test Test.

You can also try One Stroke ELT series.  It cures at 250 - and lower if you ask nice ;)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline livinthedream

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »
Our experience shows some waterproofing prevents good adhesion. Take everyone's advice and TEST! You don't want to be the proud owner of 1000 peeling prints.

Livinthedream

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
I have been testing adhesion to nylon draw string bags.
Regular plastisol does not adhere well, you can scratch it off and the strings on the bag shrink and harden at 320F.
I have used Union Nylobond but did not get a great result, Nylobond requires 320F but we ran cooler because of the strings so the adhesion was better than without but not great.
Lately I have been testing a product by AMEX (Italy) , add 7% to regular plastisol and print through a 225 mesh.      The advantage of this is that heat required for curing is 250F.
Disadvantage is that the Plastisol once mixed hardens after a few hours so you have to mix what you need and clean squeegees etc well after printing.
We printed 600 bags yesterday, 2 colors with a flash in between.      Looks good and adheres well.      This product also keeps on curing.
I will be back at work tomorrow and can post a photograph and the name of the product.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il