Author Topic: My emulsion is getting sticky with flatstock and TW Arcylics  (Read 1107 times)

Offline StinkyDaddy

My emulsion is getting sticky with flatstock and TW Arcylics
« on: April 30, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »
I use Image Star IMSPT 109 SBQ Blue emulsion, which I'm happy with for plastisol and discharge. I print some flatstock, mostly fine art, gig posters and stickers. When I print flatstock the paper is sticking to the emulsion after the print. Bad enough that it will pull the paper up from a strong vacuum table and I have to peel it off. I've seen improvement with post exposure burning, but it's still sticky. I'm thinking I need a different emulsion. I've started switching over from Nazdar solvent based inks to Speedball and TW water based poster inks hoping to only have to stock one emulsion. Any suggestions on an emulsion that will work well for plastisol, water base and discharge for shirts along with Speedball and TW for flatstock? I use fluorescent tube exposure so I'd like a quick exposure but good halftones as well.
Thanks,
Wm.

Offline endhymns

• Verified/Junior
Re: My emulsion is getting sticky with flatstock and TW Arcylics
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
I’ve used Murakami Photocure Pro for years and have always been very happy with it.  Holds great detail and is fairly forgiving. Although I do not any longer, I used this emulsion with with a fluorescent tube unit with no issues aside from burn times (perhaps too long for your taste?). I do post expose for water based runs and you will definitely need a hardner for discharge. Even then, I wouldn’t recommend for longer discharge runs, but it is technically suitable.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
I would strongly consider talking to your emulsion manufacturer of choice.

You want an emulsion that holds up to everything ;)  and exposes a durable stencil from a low impact light source.  The manufacturer can tell you what works best with your existing light source.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »
A dual cure, or adding diazo to an sbq will certainly provide a more durable stencil at the expense of exposure time speed.
Stinky, assuming that the emulsion is indeed rated for water based inks, do they suggest a hardener for longer runs?
That could be a cure. Also, does the emulksion get sticky but not cause the loss of detailed atrasw? I'd think that that you were also losing dots if the emulsion is truly softening.
Also, have you really dialed in your exposure times with a calculator or manual step wedge. Though you had had success with other water-based inks,  pewrhaps they were just more forgiving on screens otherwise underexposed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?