Author Topic: Short Run AOP  (Read 1319 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Short Run AOP
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
I know, ugh.  This is for a friend that I owe a barter on, not something I'm pulling in for us to produce necessarily.

Need to get a 1co DC print all over, 50pcs, both sides on standard Ts, XS-XL. 

We have the starch slurry and spray guns to tack inside from our all over work with zip hoods.

Anyone pulled this off without getting an aneurism? 

Our Eco can go 33x35 on the max print size.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Short Run AOP
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:43:58 PM »
All the time. 750 pieces f/b today actually.

I don't like the starch though. Maybe we weren't putting enough in but it doesn't seem to
adhere well. Mixed the snot out of it beforehand and everything.

We've done two and three color stuff with tight reg and few issues. I was surprised too.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
What are running for tooling?  On the s.roques?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »
Squeegees/floods are 34" and pallets are a little wider and longer.
Frames are (I think) 45" square or so. Need to be larger but it's what we have.
You should be able to get closer to a 36-38" stroke on the Eco XL.

The printing is the easy part. Gluing the shirts takes foooorrrrrr eeevvvvv errrrrr.
The videos of the machines where they just spray and smooth once are flagrant false advertising.

And no, on two sided prints you can't just glue once.

We're going to look into using the chipboard ala Spreading Ink.
(speaking of which does anyone know if they are gone gone or just not dealing with the public?
I'd love to pick Dave's brain)

Largest to smallest.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »

We're going to look into using the chipboard ala Spreading Ink.
(speaking of which does anyone know if they are gone gone or just not dealing with the public?
I'd love to pick Dave's brain)

Largest to smallest.

Have you tried since they moved to Springfield MO?
(417) 771-3855
(866) 369-1465
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
Have you tried since they moved to Springfield MO?
(417) 771-3855
(866) 369-1465

We subbed one job to them after they moved, but heard shortly after they were no longer.
I got the feeling they were just shutting off the public facing portion of the business. They
certainly seemed large enough to do so.

Website is gone at any rate.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 03:33:57 PM »
When I didn't see a website, I just assumed that they were joining the mobile phone/social media generation and just went to a FB page.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 04:08:24 PM »
Yes, I believe we reached out to them a while back for some work and they were gone gone.  But I can't recall for sure.  We all need a substitute for them if that's the case.

I'll give the big boards and tooling a whirl.   Worst case, we have one nice big platen in case someone actually approves an AOP print around here that's too small to contract out.

I agree, the chipboard would be the way to go if doing a lot of this, at least it looks best fit on paper for our shop. 

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Unfortunately Dave's move to the east did not pan out as anticipated, I believe he lost a few key west coast accounts and the labor pool in the new digs was not what he expected (go figure) I am pretty certain he closed his shop and is working for another, super nice guy and very talented.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »
Got it, thanks for the updates guys.

Dave sold me my first Newman rollers oh so many years ago.

Online zanegun08

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »
I agree, the chipboard would be the way to go if doing a lot of this, at least it looks best fit on paper for our shop.

What's is this chipboard for all overprints you speak of?  Is it to go inside the shirts?  Or is it just sitting on the shirt like in this photo https://anatol.com/customer-stories/dave-garretson-spreading-ink

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
Like the photo.

I believe you send the whole shebang down the dryer, curing/drying any overprinted ink.   Sounds about right since we would only want to do this with WB/DC which would mean flashing off all the boards/cleaning between prints. 

A thought I had about this method is to use chipboard and then a layer of something absorbent and just a little squishy, cheap enough to be disposed of after it got too full of ink.   Pig makes some product like this but it's on the expensive side since it's intended for osha spill compliance.   

We do up to 17x20 prints all over the front of zip hoods- over zip, pockets - and use closed cell foam with platen tape on top.  We dialed that process since we had constantly repeating work for it at the time and image was about the worst possible art for the application.  We have a dedicated, custom built set of lower profiled tooling plate platens setup for the s.roques to do this.  You wouldn't need that much give for Ts but a little is very helpful in getting consistent over the seams.