Author Topic: Scale for weighing ink  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Cole

Scale for weighing ink
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Can someone recommend a good scale for weighing out ink? I do a lot of water base PMS matches and need something accurate. I'd like to have a scale that can go from .001 Grams to 1000 Grams. I've done some searching, but can't find a good option.

Thanks!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Scale for weighing ink
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
Sartorius. 

Get one from a paint shop, they let them go cheap.

If you use the Wilflex IMS you'll want a particular model to connect it to the system, worth it!

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
If you use the Wilflex IMS you'll want a particular model to connect it to the system, worth it!

I've been meaning to do this for the 5 years we've had our Sartorius. I'm glad to hear
it's worth the effort.

Offline Cole

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
Sartorius. 

Get one from a paint shop, they let them go cheap.

Whoah. I just checked them out online. Those are pretty pricey! I'll have to do some shopping around town and see if anyone local carries them. Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
We upgraded our .X to a .0X and did the usb connection option.  Works fine with IMS 3.0.  The IMS interface with the scale connected is dope.

Cole, I scored the aforementioned one we upgraded for not much on craigslist.  Auto body and regular commercial paint shops seem to have them often, I think they're mfg's include scales often.  But yes, pricey new.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »
Amazon scales for about $20 bucks 1 oz to 56 lbs
Mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
For one until you can move up the ladder, I use a Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight for 19.99.

This precision digital scale has an easy-to-read LCD display that shows weight in ounces, grams, or pounds up to 11 lbs.. The digital scale has a "tare" feature so you can weigh packaged items without counting the weight of a container. Sealed buttons prevent damage from spills.

Maximum capacity of 176 ounces (11 lbs. or 5000 grams)
    Three modes of measuring: grams, ounces and pounds
    Tare setting calculates net weight of items in containers
    Automatic 40 second shut off
    Sealed buttons to prevent damage from spills
    Removable platform for easy cleaning
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Biverson

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
I got a Radwag 2000 WTC Precision scale on eBay for $200. Very happy with it. Can weigh up to 2000 grams at 0.01. I got tired of buying the $20 ones from Amazon only to have the display go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Is the Sartorius CM 8200-X00TN compatible with Wilflex IMS?  Found one on craigslist and been wanting to move over to the Wilflex mixing system for a while anyway...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »
We have a 30+ year old Mettler we picked up at an auction for the cost of lunch at Wendy's. It doesn't hook up to any system, being that old, but it does have the Tare feature, which is super helpful. Check out eBay and craigslist, and not necessarily in the screen printing section...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Cole

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
I've been using an AWS scale that I got from Anthem Printing in SF, but I wasn't too careful with it. So now some of the buttons get stuck due to ink working its way into the cracks. Figured it would be a good time to upgrade. Those Sartorius ones seem like the Cadillac of scales. I'll probably go for the Radwag one that Biverson mentioned. I don't have a need (for now) to have the scale connect to my mixing system. I am using the CCI CMS system and I don't think it even has that capability. Now you guys have me interested in the IMS system from Wilflex. I've never heard of it til now. I'll give my Wilflex rep a call on Monday and see what it's all about! I only started using water base last year, so I'm still testing out different systems to see what works best for my shop. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Much appreciated!

Offline Biverson

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
I've also got the Wilflex PC system and have never had a problem with the Radwag and measuring.

I'm not sure how everyone else does it, but I took my pigments and put them in large condiment bottles for precise measurements and am always able to get it dead on (+/- 0.02g).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
what does hooking the scale up to the software do?  i'm looking to get a new scale and would like to know.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
You get a nice visual interface and procedure for adding each colorant.  It's a bell/whistle for sure but pretty helpful if you are busy with multiple mixes or if the ink mixer gets pulled away at times for other tasks.  No need to jot anything down or mentally track anything, just select the PC and add until you get the go ahead.

When you finish mixing you can print out a label with exactly what you mixed right out of the system.  We have a nicer Zebra printer hooked up to the system with a couple different colored labels we swap between to signify standard plastisol v. performance on the shelf, etc.

Offline rusty

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 07:04:35 PM »
You get a nice visual interface and procedure for adding each colorant.  It's a bell/whistle for sure but pretty helpful if you are busy with multiple mixes or if the ink mixer gets pulled away at times for other tasks.  No need to jot anything down or mentally track anything, just select the PC and add until you get the go ahead.

When you finish mixing you can print out a label with exactly what you mixed right out of the system.  We have a nicer Zebra printer hooked up to the system with a couple different colored labels we swap between to signify standard plastisol v. performance on the shelf, etc.

is it PC only?