Author Topic: Let's See Your Bird's Nests!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Let's See Your Bird's Nests!
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:53:20 PM »
I bet I'm not the only one experiencing the company of our feathered friends this spring. I always have a few, and I was all set to post a pic of the nest in a Toyota wheel cover hanging on my carport wall, when a hummingbird pair whipped up this guy last week right outside my kitchen window. Much more unusual for me.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Let's See Your Bird's Nests!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:32:31 AM »
That seems to be a huge hummingbird. Much larger than we have here unless those items in the pics are actually small items.

I have a little brown sparrow type bird in my Grill on our porch that built a nest and now has two babies. Was three, but one died. Both male and female are guarding.

The grill's not been used due to needing some new burners (We got some universal burners that don't actually fit and can't locate the ones that goes to this one. :(

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
These are the only bird nest I tend to collect !
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
My first thought was a fishing reel!  Good one Robert.

My back porch just seems to collect the sparrows that fly around my complex.  Love it.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
That seems to be a huge hummingbird. Much larger than we have here unless those items in the pics are actually small items.

I have a little brown sparrow type bird in my Grill on our porch that built a nest and now has two babies. Was three, but one died. Both male and female are guarding.

The grill's not been used due to needing some new burners (We got some universal burners that don't actually fit and can't locate the ones that goes to this one. :(

The cross piece that supports the nest is about 5" across, so, the nest looks tiny to me.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
Here's the one that got me thinking about this thread in the first place

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
Not really a nest but these guys stop by a few times a week...
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
When we were in Central Jersey back in the mid 90's, they were becoming a real nuisance as they seem to have stopped the normal migration patterns and have remained local.  I can only imagine how bad it is now.....20+ years later.

Side note.  Canadian Geese are the best tasting of the bunch (Snow, Speckled Belly, and Canadian)
 ;)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers