Author Topic: Chemical to dissolve plastisol  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Chemical to dissolve plastisol
« on: May 19, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
Is there anything that will dissolve plastisol?
Cleaning my mixing paddles is a pain and I’d like a chemical that will dissolve the plastisol.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Chemical to dissolve plastisol
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »
That's a pretty easy one.
Any plastisol screen wash, or if you don't mind petro-chemicals, plain old paint thinner.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:10:28 PM »
That's a pretty easy one.
Any plastisol screen wash, or if you don't mind petro-chemicals, plain old paint thinner.

Makes me almost afraid to ask..........how was he doing it before this question was posed?   ;D 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:31:39 AM »
I remove as much as I can with a spatula.
Then I remove more with a old t shirt.
Finally I use IR26 but it’s hard to get into the corners.
I’d like a chemical that I can put the spatula in, maybe still connected to the drill press, stir awhile and put it out clean.     I’ll try thinners.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 08:12:55 AM »
Maxie:  Do you have access to a device like in the link?

https://www.ccidom.com/us/en/products/squeegee-cleaners/

Most larger shops (1-2 auto plus) will have one.  For cleaning your tools, I find it indispensable.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:11:59 PM »
I remove as much as I can with a spatula.
Then I remove more with a old t shirt.

After salvaging as much as I can back into the can, I spray ink screen wash on the item (mixing spatula or squeegee),  and wipe off with paper towels.  May take two spray applications to remove it all.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:19:14 AM »
Is there anything that will dissolve plastisol?
Cleaning my mixing paddles is a pain and I’d like a chemical that will dissolve the plastisol.
mixing paddles are cheap. Buy enough for most colors you use and forget about cleaning them. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline n_meza13

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
I have came across this problem a little while ago, since then I bought Ecotex Plastisol Screen Wash from Screen Print Direct. This stuff works great!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
I used Lacquer Thinner for years... why am I basically healthy? I don't know. I know I don't have to say this, but please don't use lacquer thinner. We use mineral spirits and ICC spray 'n wipe, I forget the number.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 03:30:59 PM »
Ozzy Juice

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
this stuff works nice is not expensive and harmless as a butterfly.
https://products.franmar.com/collections/screen-printing/products/plastisol-ink-remover-bean-e-doo

This stuff is better but more expensive. Also reported to be harmless and enviro safe.
https://products.franmar.com/collections/screen-printing/products/multipurpose-ink-remover-greeneway
MSDS sheets will tell the real story.

For ink mixing we use these and never clean them just keep them in the ink and switching buckets when a new bucket is cracked open. You can mix in one directuin and pull ink up from bottom of the bucket then reverse the drill and push the ink down from the top.
Only drawback is they are torque monsters in the ink reall puts a load on the adverage electric  drill
https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart+paint+mixer&client=opera&hs=04U&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK8Lmg9prcAhVMS6wKHVivBIUQ_AUICygC&biw=1326&bih=631#imgrc=LFHmQyY7hWxoRM:

amazon   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1VHG2/ref=sxts_kp_lp_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4330520827143747311&pd_rd_wg=YbC9x&pf_rd_r=2WTS8B8H5498073KQ70N&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B000I1VHG2&pd_rd_w=oIyFh&pf_rd_i=paint+mixer+for+drill&pd_rd_r=a1c274dd-97a2-49bb-b40e-f415655ba022&ie=UTF8&qid=1531445452&sr=3
mooseman
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:33:10 PM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »
If anybody wants 15 gallons of OzzyJuice come get it.  Our washer broke and I didn't want to shell out for a new one, so I built one from a commercial sink.