Author Topic: minimum wage  (Read 1037 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
minimum wage
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
Did a little research last night, did not known this as back in 1980 I was still in high school and not the work force, but the minimum wage was 3.10 an hour which comes out to 496.00 dollars a month.  It only increased just a few cents in the next few years to around 3.35 an hour wow.   So 38 years ago the money I'm making now would make me a big dog on the block LOL, crazy how much the same candy bar cost now to back then and nothing about it has changed, the same house you paid for back then will cost you now....gas is now just at or over 3.10 a gal.  I know some of you where in the work force back in those days making that 3.10 an could you tell me what all you could do with that back then and compare it to now.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: minimum wage
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
Here's a calculator to help figure today's equivalent to your 1980 wage
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/items/1980-united-states-minimum-wage
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:14:47 AM »
My First professional job was as a draftsmam at the large drafting board, drawing with special lead pencil on a mylar film. Triangles, compass machinist scales . Prints were made in a large blueprint machine using anonia as the catalist to make the paper print that went into the production floor.
My Pay was $2.56 / hr
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »
What I find interesting is I grew up in the "hood" back in the late 80s early 90s in a place where liquor stores were abundant, a 40 oz bottle of malt liquor cost $2.00, fast forward 20+ years and that same 40 oz bottle of malt liquor is still $2.00! hmmm

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
My first job was in my guitar teacher's music store, $1.75 an hour. My first screenprinting job was $2.10...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't