Author Topic: Reclaim Area Flooring  (Read 2449 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Reclaim Area Flooring
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »
Has anyone with non-concrete floors found a quality solution for the flooring in their reclaim area?

We have wood floors here.  Tile is my go to for a situation like this but our lease term is not long enough to justify the roi for tile at the moment.  Considering redoing the sub, using a leveling compound and pouring epoxy over that. 

Sheet and click flooring options all appear to be to susceptible to our reclaim chems.  The last sheeting in the area most certainly was it's practically melted at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Reclaim Area Flooring
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
You could use vinyl flooring (call roll goods) or you could use sheets of tile board and seal the seams, both these materials can be replaced when worn out cheaper than going with ceramic tiles.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:38 PM »
Has anyone with non-concrete floors found a quality solution for the flooring in their reclaim area?

We have wood floors here.  Tile is my go to for a situation like this but our lease term is not long enough to justify the roi for tile at the moment.  Considering redoing the sub, using a leveling compound and pouring epoxy over that. 

Sheet and click flooring options all appear to be to susceptible to our reclaim chems.  The last sheeting in the area most certainly was it's practically melted at this point.

Thanks in advance.

at our previous location we had wood floors - our pick and pack / shipping department was directly under the reclaim area.   we had tons of leaks and lots of issues even with our epoxy floor.  i dont think we had a stable enough subfloor to keep the epoxy stable.  after a few years with the epoxy floor it cracked and leaked again.  our epoxy might have been too think which caused it to separate from the wood.  for reference we used a 1/2" plywood over the 100+ year old maple floor and put epoxy on that.   i think if you prepared your subfloor better than us you would have better results.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:53:57 PM »
Good point on the sub.  Our floors are the Western version of yours, all absurdly large pine beams and a true 4" of t&g up top.  They probably shift a little every year.  Did you use a leveling compound over the sub?

I wish I could use something off the roll but the chem drips disintegrate vinyl.  I might dig into super tough roll options again though since I'm hitting a wall with ideas to avoid the expense of tile.  There might be something out there with a wear layer that could hold up for a few years.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
Good point on the sub.  Our floors are the Western version of yours, all absurdly large pine beams and a true 4" of t&g up top.  They probably shift a little every year.  Did you use a leveling compound over the sub?

I wish I could use something off the roll but the chem drips disintegrate vinyl.  I might dig into super tough roll options again though since I'm hitting a wall with ideas to avoid the expense of tile.  There might be something out there with a wear layer that could hold up for a few years.

we used a leveling compound over the seams and some low spots.

are you able to put a skim coat of concrete over the subfloor? it might help the epoxy to stick...

i think i had pics of the floor at one point but might have deleted after we moved. 

"chem drips disintegrate vinyl"  - well our ink is PVC based and our solvents are made to dissolve the inks.  maybe there is a flooring made out of polypropylene or something?  what do chemical labs use for flooring?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »
make the floor out of anything you want, then coat the entire thing and 6" up the walls in roll on bed liner. I swear by this stuff. It fills cracks, it's flexible, durable, chemical resistant, not too expensive, easy to apply and lasts forever. Oh and it's gritty for traction on wet floors..my whole washout sink is wood, covered in bed liner. Harbor freight has it 50/gal I believe.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:42:37 PM »
Haha, I would love to rhino line the whole joint.  Will actually look into that.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
We built a raised wet room and the ugliest linoleum we could find is holding up well into its third year.
We've put some gashes in it moving stuff etc but no noticeable chem damage.
We have a membrane beneath it just in case.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »
Maybe the stuff we laid down wasn't ugly enough...

Found these:
https://www.advantaflooring.com/tuff-seal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sKQgsOc2wIVg47ICh0xxQ6pEAAYAiAAEgKNT_D_BwE

Maybe do: basic sub, membrane, this stuff.
Comes out to around $6.81/sf plus transitions.  Wouldn't need much for a sub.  If it lasted we could move it which would probably make it worth it, ordered a samp to see if it'll hold up. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »
Yeah, this stuff is like 1984 wood grain at it's finest.

I wonder if linoleum is a mis-nomer like Rollerblade.
At any rate, CitraPaste, GemZyne and Renuit seem to do it little harm. Though it sees little of the last one.

I started looking into the type of flooring you linked, but this was right when we were moving and local availability won out.
Let us know your thoughts on the sample. I kind of can't believe there isn't more available for this type of use.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »
To follow up, the advanta floor sample we tested didn't fare well with chem exposure, it basically got "soft" quickly, otherwise nice looking product.

We laid down a specialty t&g sub over sleepers to level and I rolled epoxy on the whole thing, ending with a coat with some "sharkbite" traction in it.  We used an sw product called "Armorseal", 2 part.  Bathtubbed the epoxy/paint up the wall a bit.  Glued up quality, commercial grade frp on the backwall and finished with pvc trim.

So far, surprisingly good.   Chem standing on the surface (and how best to clean this up without simply spreading it....mopping isn't ideal) appears to be the only thing that could ruin the party.  Using lots of floor drip trays and need to add a few more but the epoxied sub panels have shrugged off a ton of foot and cart traffic.  Traction is nice and safe. 

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 03:24:10 PM »
Use spill containment pallets from unline and cover the entire floor with them.

Eric from Night Owl has them.  Eric pictures?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
Use spill containment pallets from unline and cover the entire floor with them.

Eric from Night Owl has them.  Eric pictures?

yep...let me see what i can find...i know i have some pics somewhere, as well as a video on IG.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
Wood floors here as well. I have a crappy peel and stick tile job at the moment. If something over flows it still leaks water to the ground level so my short term solution is just a sheet of plastic covering the tile at the moment lol. I think my next plan is to redo the peel and stick tile a little better then cover it with Flex Seal honestly.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
Here you go! we vacuum these every week.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285