Author Topic: static electricity in the shop  (Read 1117 times)

Offline IntegriTees

static electricity in the shop
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
a new problem has arisen.  we are cleaning screens as normal and setting them out to dry in a row (as normal) but now i'm getting dirt/dust all over them and its really pissing me off when trying to coat.
i can wipe the screens free of the debris with my hand but I can feel the hair on my arms stand up to the electricity.  Just trying to find a way to fix this.

Anyone else have/had this problem?

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: static electricity in the shop
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:23:45 PM »
are you degreasing them? if so the oil on your hand is a killer. i keep mine in same room as when coated. lint free as much as possible.

shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »
screens are drying on a set of big metal shelves that are off the ground about 6 inches.  the shelves are big and freestanding.  Do you think they could be the problem?

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
are you degreasing them? if so the oil on your hand is a killer. i keep mine in same room as when coated. lint free as much as possible.

shane

they are drying and they go into the next room for coating.  I don't want to bring dripping wet screens into my coating room.  I try and keep it as dry as possible.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
screens are drying on a set of big metal shelves that are off the ground about 6 inches.  the shelves are big and freestanding.  Do you think they could be the problem?

Maybe try grounding your racks. Easy enough to do and might be the issue.

Static is a gazillion dollar industrial issue.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
let me say this my situation i dont have a problem. leaving out in the open is asking for problems. do you degrease? soap?
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »

shane

they are drying and they go into the next room for coating.  I don't want to bring dripping wet screens into my coating room. I try and keep it as dry as possible.

we do. we hit them with air, then right in the dark room. the dehumidifier works like a champ.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 05:12:15 PM »
We have static so bad at times in the shop it feels like real electricity hitting you when we go to pull shirt's off the press and the end of the dryer.  I think it happens more when we print any kind of poly shirts, can't remember having that problem printing 100% cotton.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
We have static so bad at times in the shop it feels like real electricity hitting you when we go to pull shirt's off the press and the end of the dryer.  I think it happens more when we print any kind of poly shirts, can't remember having that problem printing 100% cotton.

Same here. Even thought about grounding straps for my employees.

For the above in the screen room, for anyone that doesn't know, drier air = more static electricity.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 01:39:22 AM »
I stretched a rubber cord (used for putting screen into aluminum windows) across the bar the the screen rests on when drying.      I did this because the area where the screen was resting on the bar wasn’t drying fast enough.     Could help you with static.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il