Author Topic: A Question About Facebook Spoofs in Messenger  (Read 1345 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
A Question About Facebook Spoofs in Messenger
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
First off, I rarely use Messenger, but do Chat on FB. If I block a known spoofer in Messenger, will I also be blocking the real McCoy?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: A Question About Facebook Spoofs in Messenger
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
I don't do social media but I would assume not. I would think the spammer is a separate account
and blocks are by account.

Now if the person spamming you somehow gave up their login info then yes, blocking that account would block
the actual person if they regain control.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
I understand how they can lift a profile pic, and see a friend list, but am puzzled how they post under the name of an established account.
And yes, like dangerous emails, the messages start out very generic, and then offer a link to something or other.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:23:42 AM »
Depends on how it is done, some accounts are actually hacked so you'd be blocking the real person. Others are probably as mentioned spoofed and you'd be fine to block it. However the easier thing is just to ignore it?

Those spam accounts generally send you a message and if you don't reply nothing happens.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
Depends on how it is done, some accounts are actually hacked so you'd be blocking the real person. Others are probably as mentioned spoofed and you'd be fine to block it. However the easier thing is just to ignore it?

Those spam accounts generally send you a message and if you don't reply nothing happens.

If an account was hacked, shouldn't the real person see these messages as sent? Or, if spoofed, is it like junk phone calls that display a different number than the one actually being used?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:09:46 AM by Frog »

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »

If an account was hacked, shouldn't the real person see these messages as sent? Or, if spoofed, is it like junk phone calls that display a different number than the one actually being used?

Both types exist is what the issue is. I have seen people on my list say someone hacked their account and they had to get the account back. Meanwhile the account was sending out messages.

Then I have seen "spoofed" accounts that aren't the actual account at all. Just the persons picture/name. I am pretty sure there nothing stopping people from doing that, creating an account with any persons name they like, as long as they have a unique email.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »

Both types exist is what the issue is. I have seen people on my list say someone hacked their account and they had to get the account back. Meanwhile the account was sending out messages.

Then I have seen "spoofed" accounts that aren't the actual account at all. Just the persons picture/name. I am pretty sure there nothing stopping people from doing that, creating an account with any persons name they like, as long as they have a unique email.

This is what I'm figuring since these folks do have access to the friends of the spoofed account. I think that by talking this through with you, I have confirmed my supposition that I can safely block this account.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
I also see that as a safeguard to prevent abuse of the Friends list, one should, at the very least, make sure it's not set to Public. Friends seem safe if they are truly friends and not just any old one whose request was honored, in which case the option for visibility should be set to Custom for only tagged Friends