Author Topic: I'm Re-Engineering The 3 Location Tabs For My DIY Vacuum Platen. Advice?  (Read 523 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I currently just have brass shimstock stuck to my vacuum table. They currently are shaped like the tips of Craft Sticks, and the two closest to the printer (me) are doubled--Cantilevered if you will--to allow for the paper to Slide UNDERNEATH the top shim. They 'capture' the lower edge of the paper to some degree, and sorta works. The 'overlap' is just under 1/8 of an inch.

But!

The one on my left side didn't work very well doubled, because the squeegee passes over that particular tab, and eventually distorts the "over layer", allowing for mis-alignment on multi-color transfers.

So after much frustration, I replaced the doubled-up tab (on my left side) with a single one that has red fingernail polish on top, to be able to visualize mis-alignment. I used super glue, the watery variety, to mount the tabs.

Meh.....

The shims need to be pretty thin or they damage the mesh, so the OVERLAPPED SHIMS distort easily.

I liked the idea of the overlapped shims, but it hasn't worked out quite like I planned. I thought about fashioning the upper level out of single edged razor blades, since they would be stiffer than the brass shims. The lower shims are .005" and my papers are about 004, so that part seems fair enough.

It is crude, at best.... and I'll wager someone has a more solid solution.

Does anyone have a setup they like?

Thanks!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
I just use painters tape (lol)

Offline BrazosDesigns

I use cut up plastic loyalty/credit cards.  Cut them length-wise, bend them a little in the middle so that when you put it down with tape (or glue :) the front edge will stay down.  I got tired of having problems with a slide under method.