Author Topic: Cleaning Brush  (Read 4531 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Cleaning Brush
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
Stupid Question.

If they are so soft, what are you using them for?

The softness is a nod to the extra care one needs to use with the more vulnerable thin thread mesh

That did not clear it up for me.  I know Moose uses a soft paint brush to help emulsion to dissolve when rinsing out an exposure.  So is the use for brushing away emulsion when washing out like that or just brushing dust off screens?  I'm still fuzzy on this thread.

All of the readily available brushes from the home centers and whatnot are generally hard plastic bristle that will scratch a thin thread mesh.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
Stupid Question.

The softness is a nod to the extra care one needs to use with the more vulnerable thin thread mesh

That did not clear it up for me.  I know Moose uses a soft paint brush to help emulsion to dissolve when rinsing out an exposure.  So is the use for brushing away emulsion when washing out like that or just brushing dust off screens?  I'm still fuzzy on this thread.

All of the readily available brushes from the home centers and whatnot are generally hard plastic bristle that will scratch a thin thread mesh.

I may be wrong, but I think that I just figured out that screenxpress wants to know exactly for which part of the screen making process are these brushes to be used?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 01:15:29 AM »
I stopped using brushes, I get a pad from Saati.      We only use it for cleaning off ink.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Stupid Question.

I may be wrong, but I think that I just figured out that screenxpress wants to know exactly for which part of the screen making process are these brushes to be used?

Nope, you are correct.

I have all Newmans with some S-Mesh and some older mesh types.

I see nothing in my processing activities where something like this can be used.  Emulsion-on uses Scoop Coater, Initial image washout uses just water blast, Ink-on uses plastic spatula, Printing uses Squeegees, Ink-off uses same plastic spatula with Press Wash, Reclaim uses chemicals, red scrubby brush pad with handle and water.  So...perhaps I'm missing out on something........or not.

Color me puzzled.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:10:54 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 11:28:47 PM »
They replace the red scrub brush in your process.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
Thanks for the answer.  Looks like I'll keep with the red scrubby that has been in the process with no problems......yet.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Logowear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
Picked this up at Menards today for $ 3.99. Not sure if it will hold up to the chemicals, but I'll give it a try. Item: 6321J8
https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=6321J8&ipp=36
Specialty Stitches

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
These are what I use only Red.  Pads are replaceable in the holders.

And I have no trouble using these on SMesh.

https://www.screenprinting.com/cci-cleaning-brush-scrub-pad-4-pack

Found these in Red
https://www.screenprinting.com/replaceable-scrub-pad-for-silk-screen-cleaning-red-6-pack
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:51:02 PM by screenxpress »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

Found these in Red
https://www.screenprinting.com/replaceable-scrub-pad-for-silk-screen-cleaning-red-6-pack

Hands down... the absolute worst thing to ever use. It’s designed to break down, clogs your drains too, so you have to replace it and buy more from the supplier. It’s a consumable item.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 05:16:16 PM »

Found these in Red

Hands down... the absolute worst thing to ever use. It’s designed to break down, clogs your drains too, so you have to replace it and buy more from the supplier. It’s a consumable item.

John, you have so much more experience and depth than I do, but what can I say?  Been using them for over 12 years and never had one clog a drain.  True they finally break down after weeks of use and I pull out another off the shelf and stick on the holder. 

I can't think of anything used in the industry every day that is NOT a consumable item though.  Mesh, squeegee blades, ink, chemicals, platen tack, platen tape, exposure bulbs and blanket, and more.  I'd be really surprised if those targeted brushes do not have to be replaced at some point as well. 

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
I use the pads for ink removal, I must say every now and again I find threads that break off stuck in the screen.     I find that I can work a lot faster with the pad then a brush.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »
Like anything in the cleaning process, the brushes do need to be replaced after a few months of use of hard use. 6 months or more if you don’t scrub and deform the bristles to much. Helps to let the brush rest on its back or hang from a hook rather than bristle down in the bottom of a bucket.

Consider yourself lucky you don’t get drain issues, I’ve cleaned a few lines over the years when combined with gummy photopolymer reclaim and those scrub brushes, it creates one heck of a clog.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
We've been using those red scrubbies as well and man we are always chasing threads in screens.  It's not bad when they are new, but they break down quickly.  I've tried a couple other brushes and I don't like the way they clean.

The search continues.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »
Someone should make a brush the shape of the pad, with a handle like the pad and the height of the pad.
I think it would be great.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il