Author Topic: How to simulate a color on screen without a underbase?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
How to simulate a color on screen without a underbase?
« on: June 04, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
So here is what I am trying to do:

In photoshop, I would like one of my colors to have part with a underbase, and part letting the shirt show through the ink.

I am imitating it right now with a 50% opacity on the selected area, but I am not sure that will represent that the best.

How do you guys do it?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: How to simulate a color on screen without a underbase?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
I have needed to use separate layers/Channels to show how it will truly work - or I play with filters - but its usually more precise to make those specific areas - look visually correct.

Example:  Navy over a partial base white.

On the base white it will look MUCH cleaner and brighter.  Off the base white, it looks normal.  Its easiest to use 2 blues to represent what it will look like.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »
I guess what I am getting after is, once i have the art without the underbase selected, and I start creeping the opacity down, is there a opacity that will best represent the color of the transparency of the ink on the shirt (in this case the black background / shirt color)?  Or is it just a guess?  I just want to show my client what to expect when they receive the shirts.  We are printing all 6 colors (its all I have) on this job, thus us having the get 2 tones of a color with 1 screen.

Attached is a sample of what I am talking about.

The mid tone brown has the underbase, where the darkest brown will just be that PMS color, minus the underbase, and letting the shirt color show through.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:03:35 PM »
In photoshop what you see is usually what you get if all your settings and dot gain are calibrated.
I assume you have the sep in channels. Your base should be set around 85% and most colors with high translucency set to 5 to 10%. Dot gain setting of 40% at 50% dot is a good starting point. Let me know if you need help with settings.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
What Lizard said is pretty accurate. It changes a little depending on mesh and ink type and even sequence.
I'm finding that the Wilflex white we use  is tender. It's got no ooomph even on a 156mesh. Most times for solid spot colors, they print the base 2 times.For sim process, I set my base down at 65% opacity to get a good understanding of what the top will do. Our top white is almost like a waterbase white. LOL.Anything under 20% halftone starts to disappear into the ink below it. :(  Sucks it right up.

I set my colors at 10% opacity (could get more opaque as you get closer to the end of the sequence), but different ink types DO make a difference.

That darker brown in your image (with no underbase) will darken a tad 10% or so darker, but it's pretty close.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850