Author Topic: Scale for inks  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Flash Ink

Scale for inks
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
What are you guys using for scales and where did you get them. The scales that I see out there vary so much, but if I have to spend 2K on a scale then so be it.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Scale for inks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
Seems to me that this just came up. (as well as a couple of years ago)

Here's the old thread http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,18845.msg178162.html#msg178162

And, here's the one from a month ago http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,22405.0.html
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
Sartorious is a good consideration

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:33 AM »
check out postal scales on amazon there are a ton (no punn) to choose from
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »
I use an old cheap scale I bought from Wal-mart and it ain't worth a dang, it weights fine but if you let it sit for to long it will go off which I hate.  Gonna take a look at those on Amazon....
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
mooseman

Most postal scales do not need to have a range low enough for mixing small amounts, especially when using pigment systems.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »
Emphatically agree, especially if you are PC/Base

Offline Logowear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »
I went with the Ohaus Scout Pro SJX Series NTEP, Legal For Trade Scale 1500 gram Accuracy 0.01 gram.
Been using it for 3 month without any problems.
Purchased it from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5FT78Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Specialty Stitches

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:56:07 PM »
mooseman

Most postal scales do not need to have a range low enough for mixing small amounts, especially when using pigment systems.

I have one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W7IOV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I do not mix inks but it starts at .01 lbs (4.5 grams) but there are others that are finer tuned.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
mooseman

I have one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W7IOV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I do not mix inks but it starts at .01 lbs (4.5 grams) but there are others that are finer tuned.
mooseman

I use an RFU system and still often need to measure components in tenths of grams. What you have may work for many gallon mixes, but forget the half cups I often mix for pocket prints.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
mooseman

This right here ... truth.  Also consider this in case you use or ever want to use water base inks:  plastisol base to pigment ratio is generally 70-80% Base material.  That means if I am weighing 1000 grams (stirrable quart), then up to 800 grams is base; the balance is spread across 2-4 pigments.  With water base, the base loading could be 88-98%, so at 5% pigment for example, that same 1000 gram batch now consists of just 50 grams of pigment spread over 2-4 pigments. 

The point is the less you make, the harder it is to be accurate.  To put this in perspective, if you are weighing 1.0 grams on a scale that has 0.1 gram accuracy, then any weight from 0.5 to 1.4 will read as 1.0.  THat is a whopping 0.9 variance!  Imagine trying to be CPR - consistent, predictable, repeatable with this variance!
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com