Author Topic: RUTLAND MIXING SYSTEMS M3 VS C3  (Read 862 times)

Offline downtowntshirts

• Verified/Junior
RUTLAND MIXING SYSTEMS M3 VS C3
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:50:58 AM »
Hello,
  So I bought a rutland C3 system some years back and started to run out of pigments. At some point my distributor started shipping me M3 pigments as a replacement. When I run the formulas on the two with the rutland calculator they are certainly not the same. Can anyone quickly explain the diff. I have a mess on my hands of 2 diff. kinds of pigments.
Thanks,
Tom

Offline downtowntshirts

• Verified/Junior
Re: RUTLAND MIXING SYSTEMS M3 VS C3
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
Also are any of the pigments interchangable?
Tom

Offline Steve12Lowry

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »
M3 is a finished ink mixing system. You do not need a starting base to mix your colors. So you could take Blue #1 and use that as a spot color if needed. It will fully cure as normal.

The C3 system is a base and pigment system. You will always start with a specific base and add the C3 pigments to match your color. You cannot print individual C3 pigments as you can with the M3.

The M3 and the C3 are not really interchangeable because the C3's are much stronger as they are a concentrated pigment. However, you can add C3 pigments to your M3 inks in order to match a color. Keep the M3 ink at around 70% of the total formula.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »
TLDR:

Your distributor screwed up :)

You will need to re-order the C3 colors to correctly mix your inks.

Conversely:  If you have enough of the M3 components, you can mix your color with those inks by themselves.

C3 = Pigments that you add to base.
M3 = Ready for use inks that are color balanced for use in a mixing system.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.