Author Topic: Rutland M3 vs Wilflex Rio Mixing Systems?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline XG Print

Rutland M3 vs Wilflex Rio Mixing Systems?
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »
We are about to pull the trigger on either the Rutland M3 or Wilflex Rio systems. My questions is does anyone with knowledge of both like to give some input as to which to go with. Any advantages or disadvantages. I can get both locally so that is not a determining factor. We do a decent amount of athletic wear and am wondering if the Rio systems ability to cure at a lower temp would be a big enough deal to sway us in that direction. Does either have a significant price advantage?  Is one more opaque than the other?  Are the formulas for both accurate?  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Rutland M3 vs Wilflex Rio Mixing Systems?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »
With the C3 inks - you can create custom opaque mixes.  You can choose different bases to create different effects while maintaining most pantone matches.  You have A LOT of flexibility with the system.  You do not have low cure.....  The best you can currently get is 300*.

With the Rio system - you cure at 250*.  Possibly lower... I would talk to a tech and give them your dryer situation - Wilflex (and most ink companies) is/are always conservative with their cure temps considering the wide range of dryers out there.  Your ink opacity, is what it is - but its fairly opaque (for a RFU mixing system) I have been told.  I will have a chance to play with it next month and get a better understanding of its in and outs.

All systems have formulas that are "close" but not quite right.... Also, remember all pms colors are checked on white fabric, not on a white plastisol base ;)  .... I heard something about RIO having white plate type formulas, but I would have to double check that.

Currently in my shop - we do not use regular inks on any athletic wear.  We use low cure inks (we use the C3 system and One Stroke ELTS inks - Used the One Stroke since before RIO came out).  Its now the most reliable way to make sure we have not received any crappy polyester that will bite us in the ass. 

What ink would you be using for your base white?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:34:57 PM »
Currently for the white base on cotton and cotton/Poly blends we have been using Rutland Street Fighter LB forever and it is easy to work with and consistent. We have also tested the Wilflex Amazing Bright White and it has been great as well. Both are readily available near me and the price and results have been good. As for Poly we use either the Synergy Poly or One Stroke ELT-S. Both seem to really work well but there seems to be less to worry about with the ELT of course the ELT is about $30 more than the Synergy too.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:32:29 AM »
We have Joe's Poly white and Street Fighter low bleed here.  My guys are trying to decide which one they want to use long term.  I haven't seen the SFLB be consistent for years btw ;)

But - neither cure at 250 :)

I am a major fan of curing as low as possible.  Coupling the ELTS white with Rio top colors sounds like a good combo to me.

As I understand it, the rio is temp stable up to 350-ish.  Meaning no extra puffing or heat induced speckling at the higher/normal cure temps.  So, it may be, your all around best, one stop ink solution.

I still suggest calling the ink manufacturer to get final input on the inks you would use and any possible interactions.  Always best to play it safe!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.