Author Topic: WHat is this part called and where do I get one? (air hose fitting)  (Read 2052 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
One of these fittings broke on our MHM and I am trying to figure out what it's called and where to get it.  My guess is the white plastic ring indicates the size of the air hose used. The other size seem like it MIGHT be pipe thread, metric of course. When ordering, do I measure the size of the opening or the size of the thread?

"have not yet reached out the Hirsch as they did not have a part number in the manual for this, only as part of an assembly (which is several hundreds of dollars!) I will call on monday and see what I can find out, but would prefer to know where to get it in case they don't have it.

pix attached!

TIA,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Pierre that's a standard air fitting, I assume from your E Type.
Anyone selling pneumatic supplies should have it in stock.
As you say if its MHM then its metric, most probably a 6mm air pipe.
Not sure of the thread.
If you have problems getting one send me a photograph of where it's from and I'll send one to you.     
Here's a connection to SMC, USA.
            https://www.smcusa.com/products/connectors/Fittings~21907         
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
you are right. It does say SMC on ti and 6 (which I am guessing is the mm size). I had to get a magnifying glass to find that there actually was something written on it.

How do I find out the thread diameter?

it is installed on a small splitter right after the air inlet. It is inside the machine under the big blue cover next the power cut off switch. 'not sure yet where the hose leads, have not had the time to trace it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Most of MHM pipes are 6mm
Shamrock in Cleveland should have the part.
Must be lots of pneumatic suppliers not far from you.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
1/8"  (pipe thread). 1/8" pipe is about 7/16" diameter, 1/4" is just over 1/2" diameter. Easy cheat to measure round objects is to use an open end wrench. 1/4" pipe in the picture.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
1/8"  (pipe thread). 1/8" pipe is about 7/16" diameter, 1/4" is just over 1/2" diameter. Easy cheat to measure round objects is to use an open end wrench. 1/4" pipe in the picture.

thanx! I bought a 1/8" pipe thread part at the Lowes and it would not fit. Seems like the MHM part I have fits into a female 1/8" NPT nut, but it does not work the other way around (unless the part I purchased was bad from the manufacturer). The 1/8" fitting that holds the 6mm hose (and which would solve my problem), will not go into the opening more than about half a thread. It just seems to be a fraction too big. I even tried grinding the OD a little to make it work, but it was a no go. Seems like the depth of the thread was the issue.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
OK, found the part in the parts manual. It's displayed at an odd angle so it looks like something else. It is the pressure control unit 20-0-0-6056-0 on page 2 and the connector is just a part of it. My guess is they will want me to by the whole assembly for what seems like a standard part. The hose feeds the registration pin drive unit (pin that pushes or pulls the carousel.

pierre

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
air fitting section at Home Depot has lots of those, helped me in a pinch many times.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
OK, found the part in the parts manual. It's displayed at an odd angle so it looks like something else. It is the pressure control unit 20-0-0-6056-0 on page 2 and the connector is just a part of it. My guess is they will want me to by the whole assembly for what seems like a standard part. The hose feeds the registration pin drive unit (pin that pushes or pulls the carousel.

pierre
send it to me and I will send you one the same day. SMC basically lives here
Rich Hoffman

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
McMaster has them as well.  They are cheap as all get-out usually and you can order way more than you need in various sizes.  I put them in a clear tackle/craft organizer like my embroidery machine parts.  Makes them easy to find later.

I have found ordering them from the machine manufacturer or distributor is a rip-off.  Many of the parts are off the shelf parts that cost 1/2 or 1/3 when purchased from a company like MCMaster or MSC.  It's one of the things I really like about the Vector/2M press, a lot of times they will just email the McMaster part number for something, or they have it shipped in.  They are about an hour away so if it's urgent(like the belts on the air compressor when we upgraded the pump and had to remeasure) I can go pick them up.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: WHat is this part called and where do I get one? (air hose fitting)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

pierre
send it to me and I will send you one the same day. SMC basically lives here

could you tell them to make a better ARM10F1-70GP-Z air regulator?   just kidding - its operator error.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »
Threading is not NPT on a lot of the euro stuff, might be G or BSPP.   I've snagged some adapters for this off Amazon to use on our s.roque since nobody local had it.   

Air line size you can sometimes use imperial sized where it is close in o.d. to the metric.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »

pierre

Yes, they will want you to buy the whole part. We've had to replace all of our "chopper" valves, and have to get the extra parts we don't need. When calling SMC dealers, the price was great, but the wait was 4 - 6 weeks. I think Mr. Hoffman't offer is pretty cool...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
I believe these are them:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5225k504/=1d8n30a

BSPP as Chris surmised. That was fun to figure out the first time.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
That's the part, chances are the MHM uses a mm thread.
You can email the factory and get a answer, even phone.
Einwaller Wolfgang
Service Manager
MHM Machines Highest Mechatronic GmbH
Mühlgraben 43A, AT 6343 Erl – Österreich
UID/VAT: ATU 660 90 179

T +43 (0)5373 76080-18
F +43 (0)5373 76080-20
E service@mhm.at

Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il