Author Topic: Recommend me some LB white  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Recommend me some LB white
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:19 PM »
It`s not like that we don`t like the Epic Sprint white but we find ourself more and more in a situation where we would need a LB white instead of a 100% cotton white.
So what`s out there you would recommend me.
I heard good things about the Rutland Premier White, not too keen on Union whites though. Have no experience with International Coatings. Anything I have overlooked?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Recommend me some LB white
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »
Legacy from international does the job right now.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
Rockers:

Since not all Low Bleed whites are created equal for bleed resistance (or printability) - What level of bleed blocking are you looking for?

Would you be importing this or getting it locally?

We have used Street Fighter Low Bleed for most of the last 5+ years.  Best low bleed properties of the Rutland line of inks but batch to batch consistency has, historically, been up and down.  It seems to have gotten better in the last 5-6 months - essentially after Poly One bought them.

We have also used quite a bit of Joe's Synergy Poly ink.  Fantastic ink!  But on the pricey side, especially for shipping to Japan.

Since you are able to buy Wilflex out of China - Have you tried the Wilflex low bleed whites available to you?  What about their low cure ink lines?

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Rockers:

Since not all Low Bleed whites are created equal for bleed resistance (or printability) - What level of bleed blocking are you looking for?

Would you be importing this or getting it locally?

We have used Street Fighter Low Bleed for most of the last 5+ years.  Best low bleed properties of the Rutland line of inks but batch to batch consistency has, historically, been up and down.  It seems to have gotten better in the last 5-6 months - essentially after Poly One bought them.

We have also used quite a bit of Joe's Synergy Poly ink.  Fantastic ink!  But on the pricey side, especially for shipping to Japan.

Since you are able to buy Wilflex out of China - Have you tried the Wilflex low bleed whites available to you?  What about their low cure ink lines?
Colin, moderate dye blocking properties will do for us. 6 years ago we ordered some  Rutland SF cotton white, was climbing the squeegee like crazy. Synergy Ink got lead times of 3 weeks right now. Wilflex China does not offer the full range of white as in the US.
It`s a fairly painful process finding the right white here:(

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 09:22:27 AM »
The Street Fighter LB doesnt climb like the cotton does.  In fact - over the last few years, the visc on it has gotten lower.  Its much softer now. 

If you only need moderate LB properties, then pretty much all LB inks on the market will work for you. 

With that said, when it comes to white inks, what are your favorite physical properties in white ink?  Fast flash?  Low tack?  Short bodied?  Longer bodied?  Do you print your white ink fast or with moderate speed?  Does it need to go on both a manual and an auto?  You get the drift with my questions :)   What are you looking for?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »
Fast flash, low tack, can be printed at higher speeds and must be able to handle fibrillation well. Short bodied. Matte finish, no blowing agents.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
I agree with Colin on the SF LB white from Rutland.  We just went back to it after using some other brands for a year or so.  The new stuff is excellent and doesn't climb the squeege.  I have been extremely pleased with our whites since switching back to the Street Fighter LB.  It flashes quick, has little to no tack, and coverage is nice....Very creamy and easy to work with.  We also like the Synergy inks but I just prefer to buy local.  I still use and like his poly but I am also liking the cure temp of the One Stroke ELT-S.  It is waaaayyyy too expensive though.  I wish I could find a good low cure poly to buy locally.  I've tried the Wilflex Top Score poly but was not a big fan of it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
I use either the IC Legacy or SF LB
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
Fast flash, low tack, can be printed at higher speeds and must be able to handle fibrillation well. Short bodied. Matte finish, no blowing agents.

Everything will have blowing agents......  part of making a good low bleed ink, is a low bleed blowing agent.  Admittedly, some ink companies are very heavy handed with that product....

Are you shipping out of California?  The So Cal market has the best prices ;)

For good fiber trap/fiber matte add a smoothing screen to your bag of tricks.  Even the best inks cant get everything.

I have been searching for basically the same ink properties you want.  Synergy Poly and SFLB are what we have ended up with - I really hope the SFLB remains consistent.....  With my guys running the press - they basically perform the same.  I can get more out of Joes ink, but something about horses... water.... drinking and all that.

The I.C. Legacy I thought was a good ink.  A bit thicker and more tack than the two inks above.  May have changed since I tried it.

Wilflex inks always have more tack than Rutland - Although Premier white certainly gives them a run for their money on that one. 

Looking at new whites on the market - I do wonder if Poly One is influencing core ink composition/formulation.....

Oops.. started to ramble.

Good luck with your search!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
Is Quick available in your area?  If you like Sprint, Quick is it's low bleed sister ink.  We've ran it for many years now.   There is a blowing agent in it but it's proprietary to Wilflex as far as I know and is not "puffy".   The lone issue we have with Quick is that this agent can cause little micro craters under certain types of flashes.  We keep a bucket of IC Legacy on hand for those instances.

Here's the catch right now with low bleed inks- it appears that dye processes have changed quite a bit in the past three years.  Some garments that Quick performed perfectly on for years will now bleed.   We are now running a lot of Performance LC White as the UB on jobs, the new LC line has a wide cure range on both sides and can cure at 320 allowing for standard cure top colors or down at a low temp as a standalone or with other low temp inks on top.

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:02 PM »
It`s not like that we don`t like the Epic Sprint white but we find ourself more and more in a situation where we would need a LB white instead of a 100% cotton white.
So what`s out there you would recommend me.
I heard good things about the Rutland Premier White, not too keen on Union whites though. Have no experience with International Coatings. Anything I have overlooked?
Agreed on Rutland Premier LB. 

I’ve also heard (And Witnessed) this being a great ink for irons.   Whether it be the Roq Iron or M&R Hot Head. 

Offline Steve12Lowry

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »
Agreed on Rutland Premier LB. 

I’ve also heard (And Witnessed) this being a great ink for irons.   Whether it be the Roq Iron or M&R Hot Head. 

You are exactly right. Premier White was specifically formulated with smoothing screens and hot irons in mind.

The flash is going to be slower compared to SFLB. However, even without a smoothing screen, the Premier is going to have better fiber matte down and a softer, smoother hand but not as good bleed resistance as the SFLB.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:52:53 AM by Steve12Lowry »

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
So I`ve ordered a few different ones for us to try out.
Rutland Premier LB White
One Stroke Ink Hybrid White + another two samples which I left to Robert to choose.
Might get as well Legacy White and Epic Bright Tiger White.
One Stroke Ink provided the best customer service. Robert suddenly contacted me by email after seeing my post here and made sure I pick the right ink for our budget and printing needs. Not to mention he managed to ship the same day, Source One told me they might need 5-7 for shipping days because I order from abroad even though our shipping address is in Florida. Seems like their service has become worse over the last couple of years.
Anyway, I`m really looking forward to trying a few different whites and hopefully one of them will be the right one for our shop.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »
Hybrid White is really nice and smooth.  You may also like AutoMagic White(from OneStroke as well)