Author Topic: Aluminum Platen Tolerance?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline BrazosDesigns

Aluminum Platen Tolerance?
« on: June 02, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
Hi all,

I just purchased another press, a used Sidewinder 6/6 press with side clamps/airlocks.  I made sure to ask the seller if the platens were flat, with no warping, problems or dings, and he said they were fine and were either M&R or Action.  The press was delivered by truck, got the press set up, platens on, and they weren't flat and they were not M&R or Action, some kind of plastic with the rubber topping on.

When putting a straight edge across the platens I can get about 2 business cards on each side, or if it is bowed up on edges, I can get about 2 business cards in the middle.  The seller says this is fine, but my platens on other press are completely flat and no problems.  I am having to push a little harder to get the entire image to print and it's driving the ink in a bit further than I want.

So, what amount of bow/bend is acceptable for aluminum platens with rubber top?   

Thanks!

Offline Get Shirts

Re: Aluminum Platen Tolerance?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »
Zero!

For less than $1k you can outfit that press with brand new, perfectly flat platens. Make the job as easy as you can afford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Biverson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »
Agreed on zero. You’re going to be fighting your press, doing more work and wasting more time on clearing and registration with warped pallets. I’d be pissed if I’d asked a specific question about the pallets being “level”, buyer confirming, and get them and they’re not. Then have the seller tell me they are fine like that. You did due diligence in asking and he wasn’t an honest seller. It sounds like you had it shipped and didn’t see it which carries that risk, but from my understanding he simply lied. Not to mention they’re off brand. Depending on how you paid I’d look to open a dispute if he doesn’t offer some sort of discount. If you paid check, cash or wire you’re out of luck, but Credit Card or PayPal might be able to help out. You don’t want to have to invest 1k into a press where the seller confirmed they were level and brand name and they aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »
These pallets sound a lot like the ones I received on my new diamondback in 2007.  Some kind of plastic and rubber tops.  I replaced them recently after a tech said that they were needing replacement and I think they only used those for a short time because of issues like this.   I didn't know any better.

He might of been telling you the truth about them being M&R.  But he shouldn't of lied about flatness or being aluminum.

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies and wisdom about this subject.  I have asked for the seller to replace the platens or do a partial refund, but no reply since yesterday.  I will give him another day and pursue a dispute with the credit card company.  Luckily I paid by credit card.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 'flat' platens that were 'good' for his high end print shop.  Even the wood ones on my old Mach were flat and wood warps easily!

Offline BrazosDesigns

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
Sorry to ask, but....

Does anyone else see any problems with the platens from the pictures above?  I have attached a few more. 

The seller says they are flat and he will not do anything and says we should go through the dispute process.  I obviously need my eyes checked if they are flat......

The GSG rep (local M&R dealer) stopped by yesterday and confirmed they were not flat, but bowed on all four sides, and would be problematic.

The seller has a shop in Washington and runs a Roq.  I wonder if he would be happy running platens bowed up on the sides on the Roq.   

Thanks, all..

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »
IMO:  Any platen with a dip either to the inside or a bow to the outside - is a bad platen.  It should be fixed/not sold as flat/replaced.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:12 AM »
IMO:  Any platen with a dip either to the inside or a bow to the outside - is a bad platen.  It should be fixed/not sold as flat/replaced.

Can dipped / bowed aluminum pallets be fixed? Is there someone that does that? I supposed they could be ground flat right?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »

Can dipped / bowed aluminum pallets be fixed? Is there someone that does that? I supposed they could be ground flat right?

My understanding is the cost in that isn't worth the return.  I've also heard even if they are straightened they can warp right back to they way they were quickly.

For the cost just start replacing the worst offenders first and every couple weeks buy more platens until the press is done.

I would still fight with the seller, those things aren't flat at all.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
These pallets sound a lot like the ones I received on my new diamondback in 2007.  Some kind of plastic and rubber tops.  I replaced them recently after a tech said that they were needing replacement and I think they only used those for a short time because of issues like this.   I didn't know any better.

He might of been telling you the truth about them being M&R.  But he shouldn't of lied about flatness or being aluminum.
M&R had some composite pallets introduced a few years ago but I think they discontinued them on their presses.