Author Topic: Time to buy a new Dryer. Need advice.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Time to buy a new Dryer. Need advice.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 12:40:24 PM »
The interchange is 3 phase right? I did a bunch of this research last month and the mini sprint and heatwave seemed like the best options, especially since neither requires 3 phase and there are a bunch of them on the used market compared to other options. Pricing was around 10 to 15k used

I am sure you can get it single phase, a phase converter would work as well.  It only draws 10A I think, so it's not a ton of lo

Why are there a bunch on the used market?  I always ask myself that with woodworking tools...

Only bring it up so it isnt a surprise (it was to me when we looked at options that would fit our space).  Phase converter is an option, though an added cost.

I'd imagine there are more of the M&R dryers just because they initially sold more than other brands.  By a bunch I mean maybe half a dozen at a time across the country vs 1 or none like many others.  Just not a lot of used dryer inventory from what I've seen, unlike presses. I havent heard any complaints really from shops that still run either of them.

Offline inkstain

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 01:56:31 PM »
The interchange is 3 phase right? I did a bunch of this research last month and the mini sprint and heatwave seemed like the best options, especially since neither requires 3 phase and there are a bunch of them on the used market compared to other options. Pricing was around 10 to 15k used

I am sure you can get it single phase, a phase converter would work as well.  It only draws 10A I think, so it's not a ton of lo

Why are there a bunch on the used market?  I always ask myself that with woodworking tools...

Thanks for the info.  How do I get a hold of Winston?

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 02:05:47 PM »

Thanks for the info.  How do I get a hold of Winston?

Give Me A Shout To Discuss Your Needs, Budget, Best Options
I have a few customers using  gas dryers in Hawaii!
Winston
winstric@yahoo.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
I have 2 cents to add for propane and nothing for the dryer.

I recently helped my brother put in a propane hot water heater in the country.  No Natural gas is available.

Imagine my surprise when I found out he used up 90 gallons (from a 150 gal tank) in just 2.5 months and the only device on propane is the hot water heater.  I've found out that a propane hot water heater uses about 1 - 1.5 gallons a day at $2.25/gallon.

The hot water heater only cycles to maintain a heated temperature.  I can only imagine how much propane would be used up by a constant running dryer for 8 hours......Yikes.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
Gas.

The savings in electric will typically pay for the dryer :)

Other than that, do you run any waterbase type inks?

Ugh.  I can't gas at my location, wish I could.
There is no gas line or you are not allowed to use any gas at all in your location. If there is no gas line just get a dryer that can run on propane, unless it is a lot more expensive then natural gas.

Now you got me thinking.  Do you run gas?  Aren't Gas dryers waaaay more expensive in initial cost?
The dryer wasn`t cheap but electricity is crazy expensive here.  Gas on the other hand is fairly cheap which made the decision even easier.

We put in an Interchange MD8 a couple of months ago, all gas, 28K plus installation of the gas lines from a plumber. A great dryer, and I've seen a few over 40 years.

steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »

I recently helped my brother put in a propane hot water heater in the country.  No Natural gas is available.

Imagine my surprise when I found out he used up 90 gallons (from a 150 gal tank) in just 2.5 months and the only device on propane is the hot water heater.  I've found out that a propane hot water heater uses about 1 - 1.5 gallons a day at $2.25/gallon.

The hot water heater only cycles to maintain a heated temperature.  I can only imagine how much propane would be used up by a constant running dryer for 8 hours......Yikes.

Our dryer, 3 m heat chamber, 1.30 m belt width, can run at 338F for 60 hours on a 100 pound propane gas bottle.

Offline Biverson

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »

Our dryer, 3 m heat chamber, 1.30 m belt width, can run at 338F for 60 hours on a 100 pound propane gas bottle.

A 100lbs tank? One that's about 4 ft. High and a foot wide. I use one to heat my shop and had to fill it once a week. Cost around $65 each fill, $90 at one place. So it's be around $180-$200/mo In propane? Is that good or bad compared to natural? I've got an Econored II that's 35 amps. I haven't noticed a crazy jump in electrical since I started, but I imagine if you get a 8' IR chamber that's going to be a lot more. Just asking about efficiency and price because I'm land locked for space and can't get natural gas or 3 phase in my current location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 11:49:39 PM »

A 100lbs tank? One that's about 4 ft. High and a foot wide. I use one to heat my shop and had to fill it once a week. Cost around $65 each fill, $90 at one place. So it's be around $180-$200/mo In propane? Is that good or bad compared to natural? I've got an Econored II that's 35 amps. I haven't noticed a crazy jump in electrical since I started, but I imagine if you get a 8' IR chamber that's going to be a lot more. Just asking about efficiency and price because I'm land locked for space and can't get natural gas or 3 phase in my current location.

Not sure if that is good or bad in the US but here in Japan it`s more expensive then natural gas but still cheaper the electricity. We run for on natural gas now for a while. Burner can be adjusted to your needs.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »

If you can't get gas or 3 phase in your area, then to go gas, you'll need propane, or of course, pay a fortune in electricity. At one time, we were averaging 2500 a month, consider that.

Steve

Offline Biverson

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »

If you can't get gas or 3 phase in your area, then to go gas, you'll need propane, or of course, pay a fortune in electricity. At one time, we were averaging 2500 a month, consider that.

Steve

Holy smokes! This is what I was wondering. $2500/mo. is insane. A couple hundred a month in propane is a no brainer - not to mention the more consistent cures and faster production.
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »

Steve

Holy smokes! This is what I was wondering. $2500/mo. is insane. A couple hundred a month in propane is a no brainer - not to mention the more consistent cures and faster production.

At the time, a 60" and 48" all infrared, plus another 24". We were able to swap out the big with a pair of Advance Tex-Air, which were hybrids, and the electric bill went down to the 1600 neighbor hood, and about 400 for gas. Since our move, our new landlord didn't want us to put our own meters in, so they'll do a comparison after 6 months or so, and have a sit down with us. They have been very good to us so far...

Steve