Author Topic: Foil problem an questions  (Read 1334 times)

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Foil problem an questions
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Ok using Kaeser gold foil with wilflex foil hd 2. Had problems till we went 380 on our stahls press and 13-15 seconds. I am having more problems with corner on the tip of the crown or main no coming out and have to repress with extra foil. What am i doing wrong??? tried virus adhesive no luck at all. No the foil in the rest is coming out? >:(

Using sanmar triblend shirts and t-hoodies. Also in about 30-45% humidty-Swamp cooler.

Help, ideas????
Thanks,
Shane
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:53:49 PM by cbjamel »

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Foil problem an questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
Ok using Kaeser gold foil with wilflex foil hd 2. Had problems till we went 380 on our stahls press and 13-15 seconds. I am having more problems with corner on the tip of the crown or main no coming out and have to repress with extra foil. What am i doing wrong??? tried virus adhesive no luck at all. No the foil in the rest is coming out? >:(

Using sanmar triblend shirts and t-hoodies. Also in about 30-45% humidty-Swamp cooler.

Help, ideas????
Thanks,
Shane

I'm far from a foil expert, but i feel like that temp is way to hot. For us the key to foil is letting it cool. Not like waiting 10 seconds cool, like doing the whole run, and letting it cool, then peeling it off.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »
temp was recommended by wilflex, scott hedge. what temp you using. i am getting wrinkles or ripples also.
shane

Help, ideas????
Thanks,
Shane

I'm far from a foil expert, but i feel like that temp is way to hot. For us the key to foil is letting it cool. Not like waiting 10 seconds cool, like doing the whole run, and letting it cool, then peeling it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »
ripple like this. common?

shane

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:32 AM »
Yeah thats common. Try lowering your temp to around 340 but bump the time up to 25-30 seconds and peel cold. Thats our settings we commonly use.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
Thanks for the help guys especially jblue.  350 and 30 sec helped a lot.
Shane

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
I had fantastic luck with virus last time, was pressing at 330 for 20 seconds and peeling cold,cold,cold, like half an hour later cold...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
brand of foil will make noticeable difference, too. Get some premium foil and compare it to what you are using.
Also, what mesh are you using? You need to have a good deposit for foil to stick to. 110 mesh with a PFP is what we use (plastisol). It might be different for Virus, but you still need to have enough glue there.
We also rub down the foil with a bunched up shirt after heat pressing. It's an extra step, but seems to make a big difference.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
Quality of shirt can also affect this. Temp does appear too hot.  For flat foiling: Print/Flash/Print helps even out voids in the shirt weave and gaps across coarse weave.  If single hit, most of your glue is soaked up by the fabric and corners may not have enough on surface to adhere to foil well.
Foiling on warm shirts right out of the oven also helps as the glues, wb or plast can stiffen up and not transfer correctly.  Using a foil designed for textiles is also helpful.  Some release better than others from carrier sheet.  The shrinkage rate of the fabric is greater than the foil, so corners can pull away from foil and Pierre is right, rub down the image right after foiling to make sure the corners are adhered.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
We do 340 at about 15sec........I think the key is peel cold as many are saying. Like a few hours later cold.

Also we have had great luck with Wilflex High Density clear ink. 2 strokes through a 110 or 83 depending on design but the more you lay down the better.
We also use a mechanic rag to rub down the corners and really seems to help. 

I need to try longer times though as some have mentioned.  Our last job was the first of many jobs that we had issues on the corners.