Author Topic: hot shop  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
hot shop
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »
Hey all, our new shop is pretty damn hot, 95° plus, so we're checking out the assorted offerings of roof ventilators, powered and non-powered. Anyone have any opinions to share? About the ventilators I mean, lol...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: hot shop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
ventilation direct seems to be a good source. We bought a large fan and had them build another housing.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
We just installed two 20” wall exhaust fans. It makes a noticeable difference.
Northern Tool.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
It's 95 outside here. Biggest AC you can buy. Pipe it down directly on top of operators. Really makes them hustle to do setups so they can get back under it.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:02 AM »
We have 3 large fans maybe 30-36 inch fans I think installed high on our side wall pushing air out. Dropped temps around 5-10 degrees.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:23:58 AM »
We have a louvered exhaust fan on the side of the building, this is a great option if you don't want to punch a hole in the ceiling, it's much harder to get leaks around these.

We also recently installed a big 1200cfm exhaust fan to pull the spillout heat from the oven.  We figured capture it at the source.  That has helped more than anything else in the shop.

We also run a portacool 48" fan.  That helps a lot too, but the name of the game with that is air exchange.  You need to be pulling air out faster than the portacool is bringing it in. Otherwise it gets very humid and that doesn't help at all.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »

We also recently installed a big 1200cfm exhaust fan to pull the spillout heat from the oven.  We figured capture it at the source.  That has helped more than anything else in the shop.

Got a image of that on how you did it?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
Here you go!  The ends are metal boxes, 12h, 18d x 54" wide.  I wrapped them in 1.5" ductboard because they were pretty hot.  We are going to insulate the rest of the ducts when we have some downtime.

We paid an HVAC guy to do it.  It was easier to let him order the roof curb and have everything fabricated.

Online Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
We just installed two 20” wall exhaust fans. It makes a noticeable difference.
Northern Tool.
Do they make a lot of noise?  I`m looking as well at options for a wall exhaust fans. Where did you buy those?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:32:44 AM »
Our new rig is almost silent FYI, the fan is mounted outside on a custom roof curb.  I am thinking of installing an indicator light on the circuit to notify us that it's on. 

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:43 AM »
Here you go!  The ends are metal boxes, 12h, 18d x 54" wide.  I wrapped them in 1.5" ductboard because they were pretty hot.  We are going to insulate the rest of the ducts when we have some downtime.

We paid an HVAC guy to do it.  It was easier to let him order the roof curb and have everything fabricated.
Nice!!

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
I have a shop down south the swears by The Big Ass Fan .. just my two cents .

https://www.bigassfans.com/
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »
I would love a BAF but they are really pricey. They do work great though. There a few places near by that have them. They give a gentle breeze that makes it so much more comfortable!
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
We picked up 6 used warehouse fans for around $100 each. Very clean nice working fans with wall mounts. https://www.americansurplus.com/used-equipment/Pushes air out of the building through the bay door. An improvement but not a total solution. Still very hot on the 100F day that we experienced yesterday. We wrapped our precision dryer with insulation and that helped as well. Still seeing a mirage from one side of the dryer to the other and tempers are getting hot with the weather. May have to run production 6am -2p as a stopgap. Probably wont be in this bldg too much longer so I don't really want to punch a big hole on the wall. Following this thread...

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »
We have a couple portacool swamp cooler fans that seem to help out.

www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers