Author Topic: Roller Squeegee Tips?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Roller Squeegee Tips?
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Just got our roller squeegee with the prestretched frame and wanted to post about it before setting it up.  I know we need the pallets to be warm, flash has to be fully gelling the ink, etc.  Any tips regarding speed, pressure, etc?  Any other stuff to look out for or things that maximize its potential?  Thanks!

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Re: Roller Squeegee Tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »
ymmv:

our roller is immediately following the flash (quartz). middle/high speed -15"/sec middling pressure 30 psi.

for us - getting ink to gel is no mean feat (very short runs here). you have a small window between under-flashed and over-cured. WHEN the ink is in that correct state EVERYTHING works better and if dialed in you almost don't even NEED the roller. That is ALSO the ONLY time the roller DOES help. Kinda a catch-22.
The roller ONLY helps when you have stuff working to the point where you almost don't need it. But it does help, even there, a little bit. So we set it up.

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
As you first get started check the bottom during breaks, downtime. Wipe with a finger or dark rag and see if you're getting white ink on it. If so, then maybe ink is not gelled enough.. sometimes too much pressure.

Our MHM's have temp-sensors on the spot dryers so once the temp is where we know we're getting good gelling the roller works like magic. Rollers are great for big underbases.

We will sometimes spray a rag with WD-40 Dry lube and then wipe the bottom of the clean teflon screen. That helps prevent build up and sticking.

Offline inkstain

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:44:24 PM »
After each job make sure to check under the screen/mylar that you're using the roller squeegee for ink residue.
If there's ink it'll transfer on the next job.  Just did it, uggh and I've had the roller squeegee for years. 

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:10:30 PM »
As already mentioned, wipe it down each time before starting to make sure it's clean.  We like to set the off contact higher on it then normal. We also run it faster than every other print head. And usually extend the stroke length farther than necessary.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
Its also good for picking up loose threads.
I put pallet paper under a screen, spray a very thin layer of glue and use this with the roller to pick up loose threads.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
Did our first big run with it today.  Very, very nice results! 

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
Has anyone using the roller squeegee had a problem with the teflon on the screen? I had this big wrinkle  develop  on mine looked like a large artery like you see in a body builders neck. Action replaced it but my replacement did it also. I pealed back the teflon,  and refastened it, and took some of the wrinkle out.

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
You need to get a teflon piece and put it in a roller frame (watch the M&R videos). The white sheet action sells stuck to a normal screen just doesn't work right, or stick for long.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:55 AM »
Ours actually has a sort of bubble in it as well, though it is out of the image area.  I'll keep an eye out for any other imperfections developing.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »
You need to get a teflon piece and put it in a roller frame (watch the M&R videos). The white sheet action sells stuck to a normal screen just doesn't work right, or stick for long.
So are you saying put the teflon sheet in the roller like you would if you were making and stretching a screen. ??? Maybe Shurloc needs to make one as a panel ???

Offline Steve12Lowry

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »
So are you saying put the teflon sheet in the roller like you would if you were making and stretching a screen. ??? Maybe Shurloc needs to make one as a panel ???

https://shur-loc.mysimplestore.com/t/tefloc---ptfe-coated-fabric-panels

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
There are a lot of suppliers of silicon around.
I get rolls with glue and just stick it to the bottom of a screen.
It?s used a lot in baking, glueing etc.
Greenbelt sell silicon rolls but I didn?t see it with glue on their site.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »
Make sure you apply the teflon to a tight screen.  If not, you will have to increase your off contact more then you'd like otherwise the smoothing screen won't release from the ink.  I'm not trying to bash but the frame and teflon sheet that shurloc sells is a really low tension.  So, I used the teflon sheet that comes with the roller squeegee and applied it to a roller stretched to 35n
It's not a job if you love doing it.