Author Topic: Need foam front trucker caps  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Action1

Need foam front trucker caps
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »

Hi all - can someone please  send a few foam trucker hats our way to use for developing a new pallet design. We'll share our UPS# and be very grateful!
Anyone?? - anyone??

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Need foam front trucker caps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
Looking forward to new interest, and hopefully the ensuing discussions on hat printing in general.
Flat vs. curved,  art specifically engineered with hats in mind, etc.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »
Its going to be hard to take up valuable press time for foam truckers when Dye sub is so effortless and affordable...

Just my 2 c

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
  We quit printing hats 20 years ago. Never looked back
and never regretted it. Embroidery or ASI.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
Its going to be hard to take up valuable press time for foam truckers when Dye sub is so effortless and affordable...

Just my 2 c

Apologies to Action for the detour, but how you gonna' dye sub a black hat?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
The best way to print caps is "pad printing".....And no doubt tying up a t-shirt press to do caps is wrong if that press time can be better used for doing it's intended purpose.....But if you have free press time best to put it to use doing something....

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
Cleary you cant dye sub a black hat...

But one stroke of a squeegee on a single head manual can make about 15 plastisol transfers that can be pressed on the hats...

Im not saying don't do it, and I love actions products, just saying that in my opinion... I think methods other than direct printing are easier and we would be unlikely to switch from the current processes we use.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
As I said, I figured that this would prompt a more general discussion on hat decoration.
I too, use heat seal even though the owner of a single color flat type hat press (that I have never quite figured out. May need to dig out and revisit)

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »
Exactly.

When a brand new 13$ an hour base level employee can learn to make hats in about ten minutes,  and with two heat press that employee is doing one every 15 seconds.... it makes zero sense to mess with that equation :)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 04:27:45 PM »
we find making transfers to be best. That being said, we printed thousand of trucker hats on a Livingston Champ on a Rototex. I've also used curved screen systems. But as ffokazak said, one squeegee pull is a dozen or more transfers...

steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
transfers here as well.  Have tried a few different times to direct print them and they just look like crap compared to a plastisol transfer.  We do quite a bit of print and cut vinyl and dye sub on hats as well, again easier and better product than direct print in my experience.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
Question: Is printing your own transfers worth it for small runs? Say, 1-3 dozen? I've thought the Livingston hat champ would be a good idea for those runs, but I've never tried one. Maybe Action has a good idea in the works?

For us, on the rare occasion we do hats, we just outsource the transfers. And I agree, they are dead simple & quick on a heat press.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline rusty

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
I just pulled the trigger on a hat heat press. I have printed tons of hats manually but I've never been really happy with results. Transfers just seem so much easier especially for multicolor.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »
Question: Is printing your own transfers worth it for small runs? Say, 1-3 dozen? I've thought the Livingston hat champ would be a good idea for those runs, but I've never tried one. Maybe Action has a good idea in the works?

For us, on the rare occasion we do hats, we just outsource the transfers. And I agree, they are dead simple & quick on a heat press.

Very easy to print, and we use transfers for all kinds of stuff every day.  Would hate to have to wait for someone to make and ship them, and rely on someone else's standards for quality for a lot of what we print in house.