Author Topic: I-image STE Bi-Direction print not lining up  (Read 669 times)

Offline WS Emerson

I-image STE Bi-Direction print not lining up
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »
We have an I-image STE and haven't had much for problems except today. We went to run our first print of the day and noticed our passes got changed to 4 and would not allow printing because the image resolution in the RIP is set to 1200x900. I switched to 6 Pass and noticed the print wasn't lining up (see attached images). I switched the print direction to Unidirection and it works fine but in Bidirection mode it causes this problem. I've gone through several different calibrations but nothing has helped or even made any changes. Can someone please tell me what calibration to go through to get the Bidirection print registered?

Thank You,
Richard

Offline trebor

Re: I-image STE Bi-Direction print not lining up
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
We had the same problem. Only on some files. M&R tech came in and switched to unidirectional and it solved the problem. M&R tech didn't seem to have any explanation so we are now printing unidirectional only. I am interested to see what the solution is...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: I-image STE Bi-Direction print not lining up
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
For the original poster, I'm pretty sure I know what the prob is.
This falls back to the Tech knowledge at the time they started (and into a few years) of calibrating one way, and finding out years later that it can be calibrated in another manor to be more efficient.  While I came in during the more recent years, I was still trained to do a calibrations for each individual pass.  A 6 HIGH SPEED and a 6 LOW speed.  Then on the fly, you can change form UNI or BI for any one of these calibrated settings.  (UNI), is often used when there is a problem but it's really only a band aid. It slows the printer down and prints the image using only one direction. You want to be moving faster than that eventually.

When it was set up the old way, (such as a calibration per setting) it's imperative that you not, I say NOT change setting FROM the PRINTER SETTING LIST. I think this is what happened to you. When you do, you chose a print pass that is NOT calibrated and the print goes haywire.

That long list of all of those print pass options most obvious (where everyone sees it) right in front of you, titled PRINTER SETTINGS, that is only for a TECH to calibrate (when installed the old way). That long list are only (options) to START from. It's a list of every possible print speed (that is to still be calibrated yet). Once it's calibrated...and saved, the saved print mode is saved up in the EDIT _PRINT MODE_ list. Thats where you will find the ones that have already been calibrated.

Each of those in the long list must be followed by a calibration and there is a specific process to achieve that. If it's from the older method of say prior to (1.5-2 yrs) ago.  The calibration is not an AUTO thing like an EPSON. You have to be trained to do it and it's a bit time consuming.

Now, The fact that the Tech came in and didn't know what might have caused it tells me that tech came to work at M&R after the new calibration process change and had never heard of that or was not trained in the old way.  When it's calibrated for each pass (and saved) as the "calibrated pass", you could ONLY change a print pass (up above in the EDIT_PRINT MODE_ list just below CUSTOM).  We have that same I-Image STEll where I work today. I never change the settings unless I am doing something very unique, (only several times a year).

The reason your print pass could have been changed is probably from some sort of power surge that kicked the preferences out of the PRINTER itself and caused it to set back to default.

The PRINT MODES saved settings:
(up above in the EDIT_PRINT MODE_ list just below CUSTOM). These saved and calibrated print modes might say something like 6HIGH, 6LOW, 12 HI, 12 LOW.  (You should NOT see ALL options) as that would indicate you are in the wrong area. There will be a limited number like I described. A single calibration takes about 30 min to go through so some Techs may have only calibrated the required. That is a 6 pass low and a 12 high.  If they have more time, they can provide a 12 LOW and more, like a 18low, 18 high, 24 low, 24 high.

Early on, they calibrated for 6 pass HIGH (most commonly used) at the factory for testing. Then when the Tech installed it, they would calibrate for a 12 pass LOW and HIGH...and any others that the customer might want (although very rare).
We never (never) calibrated or used anything other than +.  6 pass +,  12 pass+ etc. I don't know why. The answer was before me and apparently I didn't need to know.

What you will need to do, is change to one of the print modes in the EDIT_PRINT MODE. Next, restart the program. If that doesn't do it, (if the correct print mode does not stick), then power down...and RE-START the printer.  Check to be sure the setting you chose shows up in the PRINT PASS window (in that 2nd tab) where you change settings. If it's there, you should be good to print.

If the above does not work, you may need to re-install from the SAVED SETTINGS. CALL A TEACH to ahv them walk you thought this. It's not a big deal, but you can get lost out of sequence.  Typically those Printer Control settings are backed up in a SAVED SETTINGS FOLDER on the desk top. In that, you would see a file named PRINTER CONTROL saved settings with a date at the end. (Typically the date of install).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:04:06 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850