Author Topic: Plastisol building up under the screen  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Plastisol building up under the screen
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »
I'm using Rutland M3, sometimes on long runs we get a build up of plastisol under the screen and have to stop and clean under the screen.
What causes this and is there anyway to stop it?      Could be too much pressure or the wrong screen.     I'm not sure.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Plastisol building up under the screen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »
1. Are these inks rated for wet on wet (WOW) printing?
2. Even with proper inks, the build-up can be exacerbated with low tension.
3. Standard band-aids are sprays like silicone, or even Pam. I just saw mention of a wipe down with WD-40 as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
With all ink systems it can happen...

Usually there are situational factors involved, so depending on the base used (pigment/boosters/etc), pigment loading, mesh counts, flashing, board heat, direct on a shirt Vs on a white base, additives used, etc... you all get the picture.

Something somewhere is causing the ink to coalesce and become stuck to the back of your screens.

Maxie, what can you give us in terms of the details?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
We have printed with the M3 inks since the beginning of this series.  Part of it is the non Phthalate chemistry. Also printing onto cotton shirts without a base will cause a combination of shirt fibers and ink to build up a lot.  We always use at least a percentage of halftone base or even clear base on whites to help with this issue.  Lastly chino base added to the inks will help with buildup in our experience.

The best way we have found to clean the screens is with the tops of the spray tack cans.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline xcelr8hard

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
We have printed with the M3 inks since the beginning of this series.  Part of it is the non Phthalate chemistry. Also printing onto cotton shirts without a base will cause a combination of shirt fibers and ink to build up a lot.  We always use at least a percentage of halftone base or even clear base on whites to help with this issue.  Lastly chino base added to the inks will help with buildup in our experience.

The best way we have found to clean the screens is with the tops of the spray tack cans.
Can you elaborate on the "with the tops of the spray tack cans"?
Do WOW inks really improve the problem?
Are the WOW inks less opaque than "regular" plastisol?

Butch

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »
 We always use at least a percentage of halftone base or even clear base on whites to help with this issue.

Lizard, does this mean that you are printing a clear base?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Lizard

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
On larger runs with white shirts we will run a clear base.  Any other color it's usually a white base. 
Toby

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
I'm experiencing this issue as well, and I'm curious about the idea of the clear base.  Are you printing the clear base, then flashing, then printing the colors?  If so, doesn't that add substantially to the hand of the print and cause issues with the opacity/look of the inks vs driving them into the shirt?  I would think it would add to the buildup issue vs help it.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:24:16 PM »
Most of the buildup is from ink and shirt fibers building up on top of itself. Clear base through a high mesh and ink top colors through a high mesh produce a soft vibrant print with minimal buildup.
Toby