Author Topic: Hot shop part 2  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Hot shop part 2
« on: July 17, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
I posted a week or so ago about our air moving problem, and it looks like we're going to go with 2 - 24" downblast exhaust fans in the ceilings 24' up. I was checking with a friend who knows of these things, and he suggested that we get some $300.00 portable AC units, and set them up with some venting next to work stations, in our cases, the printers and catchers. I'm trying to wrap my head around it; he swears it worked very well at the old Dennison (Avery now) plant in our town for the older (100 years plus) parts of the buildings.The idea being to just cool that small area around the worker and it made the work bearable, much better than the ambient air. It was 102? yesterday in the shop. Any thoughts? I'm just throwing it out there for some brainstorming if anyone gets a minute... we have no windows, the only air intake is when we open the loading dock doors...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Hot shop part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
if you are drawing air out of your shop you will also need a way to get fresh air in - otherwise you will have negative air pressure inside and your dryers wont exhaust properly (assuming you have gas dryers).

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »
if you are drawing air out of your shop you will also need a way to get fresh air in - otherwise you will have negative air pressure inside and your dryers wont exhaust properly (assuming you have gas dryers).

though we have no windows, we can open the doors to the loading dock, which would provide the incoming air. Good tip, thanks, was aware already. I almost like the sound of the portables, but I'm having trouble thinking it would work. On the other hand, the guy who told me about it knows his stuff. I do see some very expensive portable industrial air conditioners, so maybe it's not that crazy of an idea...

Steve

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
+1 for makeup air.  You need way more than you think and the doors aren't always open.  Less of an issue if you are in a leaky old building but still I think makeup air deserves more attention than it ever gets.

We don't use ac proper but have a swamp cooler pointed at both ends of the belt to take the edge off. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:52:05 PM »
I used one of the portable ACs last summer positioned directly behind me so the air would literally blow into the back of my shirt and puff it out. Worked well enough considering my shop was regularly around 118 to 120 degrees...

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »
Great Conversation about an important employee welfare issue.

How about some pictures of the portable AC and the ducting operators can adjust to meet individual preferences?  Anybody got any?

My HVAC guy likes the idea but he wants something as a starting point.

Pics???????
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
I don't have any pics from the old mill in town that my friend was speaking of (though my grandfather was a lifer there) but I did see some industrial versions that have tubes on them so the air flow could be directed...

Steve

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
...suggested that we get some $300.00 portable AC units...

If you go this route, check the reviews on the model you get. I set up an LG unit in our shop this summer, and found that some of the time it properly blows air @ 70 degrees, but sometimes blows @ 90. Not much more than a fan at that point.

But the principle is good. Our shop is such that we have a window unit a couple of feet behind the loading station. The shop is still hot, but it makes working in the summer heat bearable at the press.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »
Tees and Coffee

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
While not central or portable AC does anyone have experience with the 12 and 14 foot fans by bigassfan.com ? I know they did serious warehouse installations and assume they work but how well?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »
While not central or portable AC does anyone have experience with the 12 and 14 foot fans by bigassfan.com ? I know they did serious warehouse installations and assume they work but how well?

I've heard really great things about them.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
Same. They have them all over central Texas and seem to work well.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »

I checked them out in Hot Shop part 1, wouldn't work for us, we'd just be pushing the heat downward, but they seem nice...

Steve

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
These were the best, and then they were discontinued:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/air-conditioning/commercial-portable-ac/portableairconditioners-spotcooler-etl-approved-796000

We also have a bunch of these at the shop

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/air-conditioning/portable/portable-air-conditioner-8-000-btu-115v

This last one is what my friend was telling me. Our shop is in the 90's plus, would they work in this situation do you think?

Steve