Author Topic: Production Monitors  (Read 1928 times)

Offline 1964GN

Production Monitors
« on: July 20, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »
With 2 presses, catchers at the end of the dryer and embroidery, we would like to have monitors at each location where they would have access to the production schedule and job details (proofs etc). Has anyone set up a system like this that they would care to share? Chromecast? Small work stations? Thoughts?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Production Monitors
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »
we have a monitor at the end of each dryer. Connected to one cheap-o PC.

basically we just got a monitor splitter. it works, just ok.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
I've heard of people using a raspberry pi as a computer for displaying a google calendar..They are dang near disposable.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »
We've switched to Printavo and I want monitors as well,

But after a quick search, ( was looking for all in ones, )

I cant seem to shake off the fact that a tablet would be better...

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
We have an old TV monitor hooked up to a Microsoft Kangaroo.  The Kangaroo is a $100 computer that runs windows 10 and is perfect for just displaying a schedule

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »

100% agree. Our production floor runs on tablets, but we use the monitors to post up the mock ups for each job, which are stored in printavo. Still a pain though, as the monitors are running off of one computer, so we need to go to a central location, and switch the display to that mock up.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:05:01 PM »
The only one I would buy would be a touch screen all in one, but again, it comes back to why the hell wouldn't you just use a tablet...

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 05:13:02 PM »

100% agree. Our production floor runs on tablets, but we use the monitors to post up the mock ups for each job, which are stored in printavo. Still a pain though, as the monitors are running off of one computer, so we need to go to a central location, and switch the display to that mock up.

Exactly. Same for us you have to run to central / main computer to switch. As of now there seems to be no all in one system for what we need. When that does happen I think half the staff (left) will be robots and it will be in their head already so nothing to look at.

Offline shaneds

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
We use a windows 10 pro tablet, hooked up to the domain. We run shopworx with barcode scanners so each team only has to scan in the order ID and it pulls all of the proofs and production information.  Tablets are mounted to the dryers.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
Tablets seem like a good idea but a full Windows install will make life easier.

I looked into the mini computers like the Kangaroo, Raspberry Pi etc. All of them expensive or limited.

We ended up just finding used old workstations on our local classified. $100-$150 with monitor and mouse. We have them at the manual and auto, staging, and the ink station.

No one pays us to walk around. It saves a ton of time for everyone to have order details available right where they need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:40:47 AM »
Is anyone familiar with Chromecast? I am wondering if there is a way to cast a Chrome browser tab to a specific monitor. So, I could have multiple tabs open, each going to specific monitors. Each tab having the schedule and/or current job details to that specific press or emb department.

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
We do this using printavo and a pc laptop at print station connected by hdmi to a tv at the end of dryer. Operator has no paper work order they open the Printavo proof which is mirrored on the tv

You can see it here https://instagram.com/p/BlN8j6sn2v9/

If anyone is getting setup with printavo i can help you or introduce you to bruce or steven farag who would both help you also
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:47:13 PM by merchmonster »
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
Chromecast is flaky. Chomebooks kind of suck too and require a google login

@eric we tried the central computer thing and it didnt work for us
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:45:06 PM by merchmonster »

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
We have tablets on both autos and at back of dryer.  Running this for maybe 4 years now.   Printavo, Google suite.  Our gmail integrated CRM won't display on anything less than a full os so that isn't used on the tablets unfortunately.

Lessons learned:
  • Don't use ipads.  I don't personally have a tablet and thought the ipads were supposed to be the best but they simply underperform next to an android tablet, lots of pressing a button and standing there while it does nothing.  Maybe that's a google v. apple problem though.
  • If using smaller tablets you'll need one on each side of the dryer or for each job running essentially.
  • Don't forget to add tablets to heat press stations, etc. so they aren't lifted from other areas.
  • Keep one paper copy of the work order for product check in/out.  There's no provision for this in Printavo or any of the other apps and it simply works best to do it on paper.  We label this printed copy with the PO nice a big so you can find the job in the sea of carts, etc.

I like monitors for the back dryer.  What I think I like better is cheaper windows touch screens at 13" or so everywhere in the shop when it's upgrade time- no keyboard needed, full os available, can get bigger screens.  However I haven't been super impressed with with win10 and touchscreen and I find windows computers to be a little bit high maintenance and interruptive but that's kind of every device these days. 

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »
I outfitted my entire production with sub $200 lenovo laptops with ssds. They run like new no issues.