Author Topic: EMERGENCY SPOT CLEAN ON WATER BASE INK  (Read 994 times)

Offline Cole

EMERGENCY SPOT CLEAN ON WATER BASE INK
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
Hey!

I just printed a run of shirts with water base ink on my auto and realized the was a pinhole in one of the screens. Messed up like 10 shirts before I noticed. I've already ran the shirts through the dryer and cured the ink. Is there any way to clean the ink off the shirt? These were expensive shirts and I really do not want to set this job up again. I'll try anything. They are white shirts, so I don't know if bleach might work? PLEASE HELP!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: EMERGENCY SPOT CLEAN ON WATER BASE INK
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
You talkin' with a gun?
In my experience, bleach almost always changes the color or the shirt a bit when just used in one small place. You'd also have to contend with the degradation of the fibers.
Do you now have the time to get some proper spot fluid?
I know that with plastisol, some use acetone (but very flammable)
I've also read on forums that brake cleaner in a spray can has worked , but I don't see it as I always figured the pressure of the gun was a great part of the operation.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Cole

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
You talkin' with a gun?
In my experience, bleach almost always changes the color or the shirt a bit when just used in one small place. You'd also have to contend with the degradation of the fibers.
Do you now have the time to get some proper spot fluid?
I know that with plastisol, some use acetone (but very flammable)
I've also read on forums that brake cleaner in a spray can has worked , but I don't see it as I always figured the pressure of the gun was a great part of the operation.

I have fluid, but no gun. My gun broke a long time ago unfortunately. It's the third one I've owned and they always seem to break after a few months. I'll give the spot fluid a try by itself, but I agree that the pressure of the gun plays a huge role in removing the ink.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Perhaps something on this principle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJL7BcGLZqU

Offline Cole

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
Perhaps something on this principle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJL7BcGLZqU

I've tried something like that (fabric pen) in the past and it just makes everything worse. The spot fluid actually worked pretty damn well without the gun. It was a very small line of ink. I'm talkin hair line. So luckily the fluid worked! Thanks for the suggestion. I thought it only worked for plastisol, but it actually did the trick!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
The spot fluid actually worked pretty damn well without the gun. It was a very small line of ink. I'm talkin hair line. So luckily the fluid worked! Thanks for the suggestion. I thought it only worked for plastisol, but it actually did the trick!
I assume that you rubbed a little with a clean cloth?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 08:14:15 PM »
If the ink is sitting on top, ive used an x-acto blade and scraped it off before. However being wb, its probably drivin in the fibers. Gun would be super handy but the next best you have is a power washer on needle point. Might really eff up the shirt though.

Sell it off as a cindy crawford freckle?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:48:38 PM »
Gun won`t work. Just gone through the same issue yesterday. Orange WB on whites.Pinhole. Did not gun off at all. Sorry. Unless of course there are some spot cleaning fluids that have been developed with WB inks in mind.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
Gun won`t work. Just gone through the same issue yesterday. Orange WB on whites.Pinhole. Did not gun off at all. Sorry. Unless of course there are some spot cleaning fluids that have been developed with WB inks in mind.

Most, like this one claim to work on both plastisol and waterbase inks
https://www.ccidom.com/us/en/products/prochem-line/spray-kleen-301-spot-cleaning-fluid/

Offline nicolas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »
I know OP's issue has been solved and this would not relate his question since he doesn't have a gun but just to put it out there get some feedback I've been using denatured alcohol in my gun for a few months now it seems to work great. I get a gallon at Home Depot for about $15.

It does the job and evaporate off the shirt quickly without leaving a residue or affect the color of the shirt.