Author Topic: Tension of thin meshes  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Tension of thin meshes
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:40:57 AM »
I recently got two rolls of thin mesh:
NBC UX Series.
040 230PW and
045 150PW.
I have been streching them on statics to about 25 newtons.
The are tearing fast and too easily.
I think the problem is two things, we are printing at too high a pressure and the tension is too high?
What is the recommended tension for these meshes?     NBC don't list recommended screen tension.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Tension of thin meshes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:53:01 AM »
Perhaps this guide from Murakami for their S-Mesh is a good starting point.
http://www.murakamiscreen.com/documents/MeshGuidefromCatalogweb.pdf
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
Mesh with thinner threads can be very tricky but at 25N you should be fine.  My first question would be how are you stretching them. Very important to get an even stretch with these meshes so that some threads are not stressing from uneven tensions then breaking. Check your corners and then your center. Are the tensions the same at these locations. If not then you are not getting an even stretch.
Kevin Dumont/General Manager/GM Graphics
Office 231-652.2210 ext 218 Cell  616-322-5925
kdumont@gmcompanies.com www.gmgraphicssupply.com
Facebook/Instragram/Linkedin/Youtube  "GM Graphics"

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »
25n seems high, but i would double check the specs of the mesh.

Most of our screens come in re-stretched around 24n, and typically end up falling to 15n-18n.

Thanks!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
I'm about 95% S-Mesh here. Screens around between 19-22n

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
I only have a few of the s mesh now, because of the rips and breaks plus I'm kind of rough on screens, so I stay with the regular mesh for the most part, but I'll say 18n to 20 would be pretty good for s mesh if your not rough like me.  I've got some screens that are about 8 years old and they are still around 15n to 18n not bad for regular spot color stuff.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
Too high!

The benefits of S mesh dont increase very much with higher tension. I learned that stretch them to 20 ish, let them settle, and then one re tension to 20 again is fine. Its a nice balance of longevity, and performance.  If you push the limit, they just pop spontaneously.

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
It is refreshing to see that everyone here uses S-mesh and similar meshes with thinner threads.(we use Saati), with lower newtons.  I get many people requesting frames with s-mesh then tell me they want 32-35 newtons. I explain that the manufacturer does not recommend that high of tension and I cannot guarantee that they will not pop when using them, much less not having them break trying to stretch them. So I tell them I can't do it. They always say "well So-n-So does it"  So I tell them to let them do it again. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
It is refreshing to see that everyone here uses S-mesh and similar meshes with thinner threads.(we use Saati), with lower newtons.  I get many people requesting frames with s-mesh then tell me they want 32-35 newtons. I explain that the manufacturer does not recommend that high of tension and I cannot guarantee that they will not pop when using them, much less not having them break trying to stretch them. So I tell them I can't do it. They always say "well So-n-So does it"  So I tell them to let them do it again.

When in doubt, read the instructions!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
Kevin what Newton?s are you using?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
All of our frames are stretched at 25 newtons.  We have quality control and ISO certification to maintain that.  We can move that up or down depending on needs or request. But we don't go any higher with the thin thread stuff.  I also do not use S-mesh brand.  I use Saati mesh and they have mesh types that are equivalent to s-mesh. 

These type of mesh counts are rated to use between 20-25N.  But the important thing is that if you are stretching them they need to be balanced. You must have even tensions across the mesh or it will result in one area maxing out and breaking.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
We run all our s mesh here at 28-30 newtons...... Back when we had rollers it was max 25...... Spot color supply are the baddest(meaning awesome) dudes ever at making thin thread statics.......
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
When I was stretching on Newman M3's - i.e. just over a month ago, we were able to maintain tension over 25 newtons.  I liked to keep them at 27.  We used Murakami Thin Thread.

Yes, we had to be on top of keeping the tension up.  Also, we needed to eliminate ALL potential for the frames and channels to create a nick in the mesh.

Once we did that we had no issues and everything went smooth.

Sorry it doesn't help the statics issue.  But it does show that maintaining higher tension is absolutely doable.

Its also very possible that your guys are handling the screens to roughly.  Its an unfortunate reality with thin thread.  Typically a little re-training is in order.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 12:41:42 AM »
I recently got two rolls of thin mesh:
NBC UX Series.
040 230PW and
045 150PW.
I have been streching them on statics to about 25 newtons.
The are tearing fast and too easily.
I think the problem is two things, we are printing at too high a pressure and the tension is too high?
What is the recommended tension for these meshes?     NBC don't list recommended screen tension.
Here you go

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »
I use some rollers with s mesh and always stop stretching at 20 n because when I tighten the bolts they end up at 26 to 27.  The max is 28 so I rarely have any trouble.
It's not a job if you love doing it.