Author Topic: Looks like we will be upgrading soon.  (Read 3353 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Looks like we will be upgrading soon.
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
So this last year, my shop has seen tremendous growth.  Our numbers are growing, and this year alone we have done more 6 color work than ever before.  We currently run a 6/8 Workhorse Cutlass.  In 2 years we are approaching 300k impressions on it.  And for us, that is a lot.

We are going to be joining the M&R team we think.  After running the Workhorse for the last 2 years, I feel that I am losing out on production numbers other shops are hitting.

The Cutlass has been a great press and it has allowed me to grow as a printer, but with that, it has shown me that I need to grow in other ways.  I have gone to other shops running M&R presses, and Ive seen with my own eyes dozens per hour that I couldn't fathom getting on my Cutlass.

Our plan is to start looking into a 10 Color Sportsman at the beginning of the year.  Im also curious of the features of the new M&R press that is coming out in a couple of months.  From my understanding it will be a retooled "Diamondback" with a servo index, but Im not sure about the print heads.
Like I said, the Cutlass was a good press, and got me to where I am today, but I think it is time to move to a higher production press. 
Any of you guys out there mad a switch from one brand to the other: was it a big learning curve?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Looks like we will be upgrading soon.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
Look at assorted presses, but M&R is great, with great service. It's indeed time. Keep that workhorse for the smaller easier 1 & 2 color short runs...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline spsi

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:23:09 PM »
I'd definitely recommend you go to a few trade shows between now and then to see what's available. We'll be at ISS Fort Worth (September), SGIA (October), and ISS Long Beach (January) for sure so those are the three I know of.
spsi.com

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
Look at assorted presses, but M&R is great, with great service. It's indeed time. Keep that workhorse for the smaller easier 1 & 2 color short runs...

Steve
I wish we could keep it, but I won't have enough space for 2 presses.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
I'd definitely recommend you go to a few trade shows between now and then to see what's available. We'll be at ISS Fort Worth (September), SGIA (October), and ISS Long Beach (January) for sure so those are the three I know of.

Ive been at the last 3 ISS Long Beach Shows, and last year I really gave all presses a thorough looking into.  Im definitely one to really do my research on presses after this last press purchase.

Not nocking Workhorse at all, its been a good press.  Im just ready to step up my game.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
Why not ask Workhorse what is there best production press and compare that to what you think M&R has a good production press, you just might get a better deal from Workhorse unless you just got you heart set on blue. ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »
Why not ask Workhorse what is there best production press and compare that to what you think M&R has a good production press, you just might get a better deal from Workhorse unless you just got you heart set on blue. ;D
It’s not that I have my heart set on Blue, it’s the blue is tested and proven. I bought the Cutlass when it was new and it had a lot of problems it needed to work through.
The Sabre is their equivalent to the Sportsman, but as I talk with people who run Sabres, they all fall in the 500 pieces per hour.
I’m not looking to crush any world records, but I am looking to hit higher numbers than what I have heard Sabre owners say they hit.
I also have talked with owners of Sabres who also run older Sportsman presses, and those still out perform the Sabre.
I know the guys at Workhorse, and they are great dudes, but I’m looking at numbers here. Like I said, I’ve seen the shops with my own eyes that produce the numbers I want to hit, and all of the presses are M&R.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 06:59:24 AM »
I recently went to a waterbased class and they had 2 Gauntlet 3's in their shop.  I was helping them load for a couple of minutes and man what a difference loading a gauntlet compared to my sportsman.  I was loading a 60 dozen per hour and it felt like loading 40 dozen on my sportsman.  That difference of not having the table raise and lower is tremendous.  Too bad we don't have 3 phase here.  If I were to do it again, I would spring for the 3 phase and a gauntlet 3.  Not saying that it's for you but something to consider.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
It’s not that I have my heart set on Blue, it’s the blue is tested and proven. I bought the Cutlass when it was new and it had a lot of problems it needed to work through.
The Sabre is their equivalent to the Sportsman, but as I talk with people who run Sabres, they all fall in the 500 pieces per hour.
I’m not looking to crush any world records, but I am looking to hit higher numbers than what I have heard Sabre owners say they hit.
I also have talked with owners of Sabres who also run older Sportsman presses, and those still out perform the Sabre.
I know the guys at Workhorse, and they are great dudes, but I’m looking at numbers here. Like I said, I’ve seen the shops with my own eyes that produce the numbers I want to hit, and all of the presses are M&R.

M&R has been fantastic for us. We love our Challenger 3D. I can't remember the last time I saw that press running under 57dz a hour (684pcs). We consider that a casual pace.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »

Yeah I see now that you've done your homework, as Doug mention I can see loading a press faster if the table is not moving up and down also, great that your biz is growing that fast. 8)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
Happy with our Sabre for the most part, but even after only 3ish months with it, I feel like we have hit its limits when it comes to production speed.  We regularly run it at 58 dozen, but can't ever really break 60 dozen on anything but tiny neck labels.  Loading it is also a chore due to the way their pallet arms are made, where the pallets are basically 4 inches up and shirts regularly catch on the rectangular end of the pallet arm itself. Loading any shirt below an XL, especially fitted shirts, is basically a two step motion instead of one to clear the arm below the pallet.  Still, MUCH better than manual printing :D

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
Happy with our Sabre for the most part, but even after only 3ish months with it, I feel like we have hit its limits when it comes to production speed.  We regularly run it at 58 dozen, but can't ever really break 60 dozen on anything but tiny neck labels.  Loading it is also a chore due to the way their pallet arms are made, where the pallets are basically 4 inches up and shirts regularly catch on the rectangular end of the pallet arm itself. Loading any shirt below an XL, especially fitted shirts, is basically a two step motion instead of one to clear the arm below the pallet.  Still, MUCH better than manual printing :D

Get a set of 14" platens...it makes life a ton easier.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
This brings back the question of, does the print quality suffer above 500/hour or x amount per hour? I guess it really depends on how good the loader is, but I would fear crooked prints any higher then 600/hour.

Offline kirkwad

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Go Blue. Our 3 autos are Sportsmans, an 8, a 10 & a 14 color EXG that has the faster Gauntlet servo drive. They're great presses, well built, readily available parts, easy to work on & if you can't figure it out their Tech Support is awesome, which is more than I can say for Workhorse. If you can spring for a Red Chili D flash unit(s)... do it. The temperature sensor w/ auto shut off is a god-send. We haven't burned any shirts since switching to them.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
This brings back the question of, does the print quality suffer above 500/hour or x amount per hour? I guess it really depends on how good the loader is, but I would fear crooked prints any higher then 600/hour.
This is my experience with all of the production numbers:

On my old American rototex 6/8 it was slow! I mean SLOW.  900 shirts per day slow.  But it seemed like we were working twice as hard as we are now to print 2,200 a day on my Cutlass. I feel that we are in the same boat with this situation.  A M&R can print faster, and more consistent with less effort, from the videos and me visiting trade shows, and helping in shops that run M&R.

I can not get more than 400 shirts per hour off of my press no matter how hard I try.  That is 33 dozen / hour.  More like 29-30 dozen per hour realistically.
This is the reason for my switching of press.  I need more numbers faster.
We just got 3 orders totaling over 50,000 impressions due in 3 weeks.
And for us, that is a ton of work we have ahead of us.  And adding a second press is not an option.