Author Topic: Dehumidifier and reclaim room / settling tank questions  (Read 1561 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Dehumidifier and reclaim room / settling tank questions
« on: July 25, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
Hi All!
I'm looking into upgrading our dehumidifier for our dark room, as I feel the one we have is undersized, and will leave me stranded. Looking to beef it up, so to say. Any suggestions on commercial grade models?

I also have a question for reclaim rooms, and settling tanks.

We are using Saati PHU2 emulsion with Diazo. We also use the Saati ER2 Chems for stripping emulsion. From our sink, we filter go like so:

Sink -> 86 mesh (to catch solids), which sits on top of settling tank 1 -> Settling Tank 2 -> Ryonet Filter (3 part solids catcher/3 screens, then it goes through a 75 and 20 micron filter) -> into drain.

Due to city code we had to install a viewing reservoir. We checked it out today, and the water is still incredibly pink, from the emulsion dye. On top of that, we are def. still seeing ink solids (hsa/plastisol/WB), traveling through. They are micro, but still troubling, as over time, this can be a huge issue.

What can we do to filter this more?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline shaneds

• Verified/Junior
Re: Dehumidifier and reclaim room / settling tank questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
we've been using one of these for about 6 months and its a tank.

https://www.drieaz.com/DEC_Product_Base.aspx?decID=1398

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:35:25 PM »
What’s the price of the dehumidifier?
Where did you purchase it?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline nicolas

• Verified/Junior

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »
I'd say almost more important than humidity is airflow.  Without airflow things dry slower.  I'm not advocating a wind tunnel in a darkroom, but if you've ever seen sheetrock work done they don't use dehumidifiers, they use high powered fans to move the air.  A smaller dehumidfier can do a lot better work with good airflow.

That's a lot of cheese for a dehumidifier.  I'd go buy 2-3 70pint models and either run them to a drain or use a sump pump and pump it to the outside.

Offline shaneds

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »
We got our used (less than 400 hours on machine) - I believe it was $500.  New they are expensive.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »
We got our used (less than 400 hours on machine) - I believe it was $500.  New they are expensive.
That makes it a little bit easier to do.

Another option is a dehumidifier with an AC unit.  Cold air holds less moisture...