Author Topic: Questions about embroidering on stretch fabrics  (Read 866 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Questions about embroidering on stretch fabrics
« on: July 27, 2018, 06:13:29 PM »
First off, I don't embroider. I am just trying to understand some basic characteristics.

Am I right that one slightly stretches the fabric before hooping?
If so, does it look funky in its relaxed state?
Is there a different stitching technique used?
Do you guys shy away from it?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Questions about embroidering on stretch fabrics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
the answer is yes, the concept is to hoop the fabric at or as near possible to the on body condition. As this is nearly as impossible as making money at the speed of light it never works out. Additionally after a washing or two the fabric and the thread (polyester or rayon thread) will all exhibit different characteristics. At the end of it all the customer expectation will always over extend the ultimate reality.
This is my conjecture as after 17 years of embroidery I have never accepted such a job. I screw up enough when most elements are in my favor.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »
The reason I ask, is rather than even feel out my embroiderer on this proposed job, I just steered the custy towards cad-cut vinyl.
Half as fancy, but twice as sharp and three times as stretchy!
Also, with a good blade, I find that I can cut way smaller than many embroiderers feel comfortable doing.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
like they used to say when the aluminum siding craze was on the way out...VINYL IS FINAL!
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
Maybe issue we may have it it puckering a little after they wash..If they just lightly Place a warm iron on it its normal looking again. A customer complained about the puckering and I just put it on the heat press to flatten it out, it worked , so now I just tell them to place the iron on it, Its quick..

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
I think cad-cut looks great on really thin stretchy shirts.  A lot of them come with vinyl transfer logos or accents on them already.