Author Topic: Pantone matching  (Read 557 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Pantone matching
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:20:32 AM »
We get a lot of customers who demand Pantone matching.
Some are small orders so the printing cost does not cover the extra time involved.
They also send us CYMK, Hex and all sorts of other color options.
We usually put the CYMK in Corel and then read the Pantone Spot Color.
We are using M3.
Usually what we see on the screen is not a exact match to the Pantone swatch, we work according to the Pantone book.
What do others charge for Pantone matching?    Do you have a minimum or charge per color?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: Pantone matching
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
We charge $25 per match here.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:33:29 AM »
This is an awesome site for color info to pantone conversions:  https://codebeautify.org/hex-to-pantone-converter

It gives you all the pantone colors that are close on the color wheel as well.

Depending on the shop, I have seen pantone mixing charges from $5 to $15 per color.  In my old shop we would wave mixing fees on orders above 150/200 pcs.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
$7.50.
With any colors not submitted as Pantones, (or when I have doubts as some matches are better than others), I put the burden of approval on the customer.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
We're $10.00 for the match; we use the Union Maxopaque system. We also tell customers that they will be dead on, and that's that. The only people that would know that are the designers and printers. Needless to say, that they are extremely close. We probably all have similar disclaimers; "What you see on your computer is not the real thing, only close..." With a PMS book, you have the actual licensed colors printed by offset printing onto a coated stock (we don't do the uncoated colors unless asked specifically) then you mix completely different base colors, and screenprint them onto cloth. How close can the average shop, not a specialty shop, be expected to get for short money anyway?
We have no complaints on color matching either. We just have to let them know that their expectations may be unrealistic, and that everything will be fine ;D

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't