Computers and Software > Computers and Software - General

GPU - what do we need?

(1/4) > >>

Frog:
I understand that these thing are the crown jewels in a gaming rig, but what do we need?
On a current i7 machine, with at least 12 G of memory, is the onboard Intel 620 with shared memory gonna hold back the graphic design we do?

Nation03:
Im not sure on that exact GPU you mentioned, but it sounds like integrated graphics. Ideally you want something with a dedicated graphics card if possible. That being said, most the computers I use have integrated graphics and Photoshop runs without an issue. I'm sure a dedicated GPU would make things feel a bit more snappy though.

Depending on what laptop you went with, if it has a USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port, then you can enter the world of eGPUs. Which is basically an enclosure that houses a graphics card of your choice, and plugs into your laptop through the Thunderbolt 3 port. This gives you huge performance gains on the graphics side of things. Also allows you to dock your laptop and use it pretty much as a desktop.

There are a bunch of companies making these but I think Razer is one of the leaders/pioneers of the eGPU craze.

Biverson:

--- Quote from: Frog on August 08, 2018, 04:36:23 PM ---I understand that these thing are the crown jewels in a gaming rig, but what do we need?
On a current i7 machine, with at least 12 G of memory, is the onboard Intel 620 with shared memory gonna hold back the graphic design we do?

--- End quote ---
You’ll be just fine with the on-board graphics. I’ve got an i7 I’ve used for 5 years with 16gb of RAM and all Adobe apps run fine. Most of what we do is CPU and RAM dependent. There are things in photoshop that utilize the GPU like blurs, smart filters, and 3D. That being said I just threw 16gb of more RAM in my system, a GeForce GTX 1060, new cooler and PSU. It’s fast but not noticeably faster on graphics programs. On games though it’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraphicDisorder:
I have twin 1080's in my rig. But I over build so I don't have to upgrade every 5 minutes.

The onboard graphics should be OK, probably will notice some lag on larger files moving around but not crazy.

starchild:
Beef up on Ram man..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version