Author Topic: Heat transfer trucker hats  (Read 2456 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Heat transfer trucker hats
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
that image is most def. a pressure mark from the paper. I believe you can try putting kraft paper between your teflon and transfer, that helps. i'll have to review my notes.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
Best way to avoid that is to make your transfer paper larger than your hat press, so that it doesn't have edges.  Which means printing less up which is a bummer.

Or to put some larger paper down like Eric said, ideally that goes outside of the heat patten area.

Or you can cut your transfer close to the image which you did, which is pretty unrealistic for larger runs.

The pressure mark may be able to be steamed out, but they usually go away with just regular handling.  We have some picky customers that think the little lines are deal breakers, so we print less up per transfer so they can be cut so the paper is larger than the platten, which then sort of tapers out the effect from the heat press on the hats since pressure isn't even across the presses.

Could also be from your paper, is your paper picking up any of the black from the hat after pressing?  We use Arjo Wiggins T75 which we hot peel, and Burkhardt Freeman http://burkhardtfreeman.com/polystrip_wb.html which is cold peel.

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 10:19:29 PM »

So I got started on these today and I’m happy with the detail and opacity but I’m wondering how I can get rid of the mark shown in this photo. The mark is the outline of the transfer paper. I pressed this at 300 for 8 seconds on medium pressure. I tried lower temp and lighter pressure and anything less doesn’t full transfer the artwork.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally off topic but my buddy brews for Jackie Os!

Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline lancasterprinthouse

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »
that image is most def. a pressure mark from the paper. I believe you can try putting kraft paper between your teflon and transfer, that helps. i'll have to review my notes.

We were messing around with this but we felt that it greatly increased the chance at crooked images as it’s impossible to see the transfer image after the Kraft paper was put on top. Ultimately we decided to diecut the transfers and post press with a blank piece of paper larger than the press area to get rid of the marks. Extra steps involved and next time I’m trying some different paper, but, it got us through this order and the end results were up to our liking.

Offline lancasterprinthouse

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »

So I got started on these today and I’m happy with the detail and opacity but I’m wondering how I can get rid of the mark shown in this photo. The mark is the outline of the transfer paper. I pressed this at 300 for 8 seconds on medium pressure. I tried lower temp and lighter pressure and anything less doesn’t full transfer the artwork.

Any suggestions?

Totally off topic but my buddy brews for Jackie Os!

Small world! They have some fantastic beers. I still have a 2016 Black Maple hanging out in my basement.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
We were messing around with this but we felt that it greatly increased the chance at crooked images as it’s impossible to see the transfer image after the Kraft paper was put on top.

They make transfer tape that you can tape the corners of your transfer down so that when you put the craft paper or larger paper over the top you don't have to worry about the transfer moving.

The little pieces of tape are reusable as well.

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

We were messing around with this but we felt that it greatly increased the chance at crooked images as it’s impossible to see the transfer image after the Kraft paper was put on top. Ultimately we decided to diecut the transfers and post press with a blank piece of paper larger than the press area to get rid of the marks. Extra steps involved and next time I’m trying some different paper, but, it got us through this order and the end results were up to our liking.

The tape was mentioned but you can also get cans of temp spray adhesive like Sprayway 66 and hit the transfer with that before placing it. I just did a run of dye sub hats and was able to get away with no crease marks by keeping the paper larger than the heat panel and using spray.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
What you did is a good idea,but a lot of work, I would cut the transfer closer to the design.
Chances are the change of tone is caused by pressure on the material.
If you press a hat without transfer paper you you still see a change in tone?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il