Author Topic: Uni-Kote assistance with coating technique  (Read 689 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Uni-Kote assistance with coating technique
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
We have a UNI-KOTE and I want to adjust or fine tune the coating process.  We get great consistency out of it. No issues there.

What I want to do is adjust not just the speed, but I'm assuming (the pressure) of the troughs. It's at the default of 17psi, but the range is from 10-30psi so I'm assuming there is a reason for the range.  Our EOM is at 10-11% and we are coating 2:2 to get that 10%. I don't want to coat 3:2 or 3:3 so I'm looking for an option.

I'd like to try a little thicker stencil in some cases. Slowing the speed is one method, but decreasing pressure a tad can be also (I'm thinking).  So if anyone has played with this on theirs, chime in for me with some feedback.

I don't necessarily want to go slower. Just thicker. So trough pressure is where I'm thinking to adjust. I'd like to be able Make that baby zing, get the consistency...and the thickness.

Thoughts?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: Uni-Kote assistance with coating technique
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:24:34 AM »
We have a UNI-KOTE and I want to adjust or fine tune the coating process.  We get great consistency out of it. No issues there.

What I want to do is adjust not just the speed, but I'm assuming (the pressure) of the troughs. It's at the default of 17psi, but the range is from 10-30psi so I'm assuming there is a reason for the range.  Our EOM is at 10-11% and we are coating 2:2 to get that 10%. I don't want to coat 3:2 or 3:3 so I'm looking for an option.

I'd like to try a little thicker stencil in some cases. Slowing the speed is one method, but decreasing pressure a tad can be also (I'm thinking).  So if anyone has played with this on theirs, chime in for me with some feedback.

I don't necessarily want to go slower. Just thicker. So trough pressure is where I'm thinking to adjust. I'd like to be able Make that baby zing, get the consistency...and the thickness.

Thoughts?
I would not mess with the pressure. Are you using the round edge on both scoop coasters? Also tension on the screen can be an issue if not high enough
Rich Hoffman

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, round edges.  We use roller frames and tensioned above 25n on all.   I feel like if there were less pressure, it could apply just a little more emulsion in each pass without having to do excessive numbers of passes.

Someone had sent me a PM on this and asked "Why do I want a thicker coat of emulsion?"  Answer is, 10% on a 230 or 305 is great for sim process. It's not great for solid spot color printing. I want a higher wall, deeper trough (stencil)
for the ink deposit.

When the wall's edge is short, and the emulsion dries and forms to the mesh threads, it's too thin. So a face coat is great for that, ( Lower RZ), but thats yet (adding more time to the process of each screen).  Adding another coat is a 3rd coat, (adding more time to the process of each screen). So, applying thicker coat during the 2:2 seems it would be (in comparison), cutting that 3rd coat time in half.  Maybe I'm over thinking it.

The person who PM'd me thinks just changing emulsions would do the trick, but there really is nothing wrong with the one we have other than the 2:2 provides a 10% EOM.  That to me is too low for crisp clean edges (high walls).

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
Try a 1:2, My guess is it will end up higher the your 10%.
For some reason I think even (2:2) number of coating on the machine ends up scrapping a bit more then a single final coat.
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com