Author Topic: Workers Comp Claim  (Read 16431 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Workers Comp Claim
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
So, after 33 years in business, we had our first workers comp claim.  It's unfortunate, but thankfully nobody was seriously hurt.  Just a reminder to check up on your WC policy and go over safety procedures(not that this would have been prevented at all).

Also make sure your list of WC approved doctors is hanging in a visible place if it's required in your state...ours is.

I was happy with how fast everybody rallied around and how quickly the EMT's arrived.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Workers Comp Claim
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »
What happened?

We had a employee fall recently (wearing flip flops which is against policy) and offered to use Workers Comp, they declined.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
He had been feeling a little under the weather, not bad, but he got dizzy and passed out.  Luckily 2 people broke his fall.  He didn't have a seizure, but I guess people can look like they are seizing when they wake back up.  At that point I was thinking...sh1t just got real and we called an EMT at that point.  He needed to go in and get checked out to make sure it wasn't in fact a seizure.

My sister is a nurse, and she works here...that was freaking handy as hell.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
  We had an incident here recently and found out that NOBODY but myself had
any kind of first aid or CPR training. That will change right away!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »

before you train, work out the legal ramifications of it. It's a big mess! It is similar with fighting fires. Some places do not allow it due to legal problems that can arise.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »

before you train, work out the legal ramifications of it. It's a big mess! It is similar with fighting fires. Some places do not allow it due to legal problems that can arise.

pierre

Would you be allowed to pay to send your employees to a class taught by licensed instructors?  I would imagine that would remove some of the liability.

Or just have them watch this training video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIY8NYwvh4

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »

pierre

Would you be allowed to pay to send your employees to a class taught by licensed instructors?  I would imagine that would remove some of the liability.

i knew i was going to end up watching that!

best training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo&t=182s

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »
having a hard time remembering what the issues were, but I remember there were companies that did not allow the use of fire extinguishers even if it was something small. Similar with CPR as, maybe, the good samaritan law did not apply once you were trained? I can't really remember much other than thinking holly crap this makes no sense what so ever.
Somebody should look into it and post what they find. Or call SGIA and get a clarification from them. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
I took the cpr class and I believe now you will not get sued if you tried and something happened.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »

pierre

i knew i was going to end up watching that!

best training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo&t=182s

This is now mandatory safety training for all staff here.  Thank you.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
having a hard time remembering what the issues were, but I remember there were companies that did not allow the use of fire extinguishers even if it was something small. Similar with CPR as, maybe, the good samaritan law did not apply once you were trained? I can't really remember much other than thinking holly crap this makes no sense what so ever.
Somebody should look into it and post what they find. Or call SGIA and get a clarification from them. . .

pierre

Laws vary from state to state, but from my understanding, the good samaritan law will protect you as long as you do not do anything outside of your scope of training. For instance, if you were only trained to do CPR / AED, and then you improperly put in a chest tube or administer a medication... then yeah you are going to be liable when something goes wrong. So long as you are acting in good faith and do not do anything out of your scope of practice you should be covered, unless you're engaging in gross negligence or intentional malpractice.

Not a lawyer by any means, but I was a nurse in a prior life & this is how it was taught to me. Stay within your scope of training and you are okay, but go beyond it and pretend to be a Doctor when you're not, you'll get smashed.

And of course... if the person is conscious, always ask for consent before you help them. If they are unconscious, and you are comfortable helping, then by all means do your duty as a human being and help! By acting decisively you can save someones life.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
The good samaritan will protect the person administering the CPR or providing help, but not the employer. Somebody could sue you for inadequately training or selecting the wrong person for the training, forcing them to provide the aid and so on. There are many scenarios where it can be an issue. I am not saying, don't help, but let's get some facts here so we can have a productive conversation. Laws also change from state to state and from what I can see, in some cases it covers only medical professionals and some states cover everybody.

pierre